ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752742 Members
5409 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G4P Array Model

Paul C Berisoff

Proliant ML350 G4P Array Model

I have a Proliant ML350 G4P Array model, which has the 641 SCSI RAID Controller. I have 5 hard drives, 2 X 36GB 15k Mirrored for the OS, and 3X 72GB 15k in a RAID 5 for data storage. Twice now 4 of the 5 drives (the entire RAID 5 and one of the mirrored drives) go offline and show red lights. Was able to power off the system and reseat all the drives and cables and it came up again and ran for about 12 hours before happening again. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Have you ran array diagnostics utility (ADU) to see if it gives you any ideas what is happenening? Are you also running the latest firmware and driver for the 641?

Any error messages in the eventlog prior to the problem?

-Miika
Paul C Berisoff

I have not run the firmeware update CD yet to see if there are any updates, but I will be doing that Monday morning. I setup the notification service from the server and here is what was sent.

The system has detected the following event:

SNMP Trap: 3034

Date time: 11/03/2006 11:12:26 PM
Computer: TD-SBS
Source: Storage Agents
Type: Warning
Category: (4)

Description:
A 'Logical Drive Status Change' trap signifies that the agent has detected a change in the status of a drive array logical drive.

Details:
IDA Logical Drive Status 'RECOVERING'Logical Drive # 1Controller Slot # 3

the first one is the logical drive change, and then this next message is to do with the physical drives, and there is four, one for each drive that had problems.

The system has detected the following event:

SNMP Trap: 3046

Date time: 11/03/2006 11:12:26 PM
Computer: TD-SBS
Source: Storage Agents
Type: Error
Category: (4)

Description:
A 'Physical Drive Status Change' trap signifies that the agent has detected a change in the status of a drive array physical drive.

Details:
IDA Physical Drive Status 'FAILED'Drive Type 2Location 'SCSI Port 1 Drive 3'Error Code 19Bus # 1Controller Slot # 3Model 'COMPAQ BF0728A4CB 'Serial Number '3KP3DRD800007703B6J5'Firmware Revision 'HPB5'

There were errors in the Windows Event log the first time and I don't have the exact error message, but it was to do with an I/O error and when you clicked through for the solution from MS it reported that usually it was a bad cable. I don't think this would be the case given that one of the drives continues to work, but I guess anything is possible.
Jaragon
Frequent Advisor

I would say you have to try the FW first if it keeps doing this afterwards you will probably have to replace the SCSI backplane, it would be a good idea to clean all the conectors on the backplane when you get your down time
Paul C Berisoff

Jaragon,

I have contacted Hp Support and they have shipped out a new RAID Controller. Are you thinking it is more along the physical Back Plane that is the issue, and I see you are a moderator, so if given a case number can you get invovled? I just want to try and get this resolved ASAP and if the backplane is a possibility I would like to have it shipped out today as well so that we do not lose another day to this problem. As of this morning, after doing the firmware update, the Arrays only lasted about 4 hours, down from the 12 hours that they lasted on Friday. I have now replaced the cable, as of an hour ago, and I have just received notifications of some errors again, although not to the extent of 4 of the 5 drives going offline as before.