1752785 Members
5846 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 G5 Max size HD / Raid configuration

Alan Dobbs

Proliant ML350 G5 Max size HD / Raid configuration

Newbie on the forum.
I have a single Proliant ML350 G5 (S/N USE824N58X HP) that I ordered with 4 drives each 160G and a raid 5 configuration with 2 blank bays.
That was 3 years ago, now I need to attach more HD space.
The server has a Smart Array E200i/128MB Controller and some specifications show 2Tb total space but other documentation show 3Tb max device space.
I wanted to attach 4 pieces of 750G in a raid 0+1 (Mirror) and also attach 2 pieces of a 1.5Tb in a raid 0+1 into the bay 5~6
This should make a total of 3Tb compared to the existing 4-160G drives with a existing raid 5 equaling 480Gb

Is this possible without adding a external storage drive?

Can the HP utility configure?
Meaning attach the 2 1.5Tb drives into the empty slots, coppy the data over from the existing C drive that has the raid 5.
Once copy over then disable the raid 5 (160 drives) then attach the 4 750G drives and format to a raid 0+1 then copy back to the newly configured C drive.
All without doing a full system restore / New OS?

Regards
Alan
10 REPLIES 10
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML350 G5 Max size HD / Raid configuration

There's another way.

Replace the 160 GB drives, one by one, to the 750 GB drives.
Then do a RAID level migration to RAID 1+0, you have got plenty of free space.
Then finaly extend the logical drive, if your operating system support that.
Beware of the OS, and its capabilities (Or more lack of) on extended the partition.

And add the 2 1,5 TB disks. (You could do that first).

The ACU can create, expand, extend, migrate, delete for you. It can't copy data to another array for you.

If you choose to go this way. Do ensure that you've got a good backup, and an emergency restore plan.
Also check the disks on the existing array, for all kind of errors, use the System management homepage.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Alan Dobbs

See attached 3 screenshot on attachment.
I installed the 2 drives (1.5Tb) into the 5&6 bay and thru the ACU configured a Raid 0+1.

looks like I was mistaken, the first 4 drives are in a raid 0+1

Is it possible to remove drive 1 and 2 (160G) then insert 2 750G drives then use the ACU to configure?

Regards
Alan
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

It is possible to do what you ask, but it will cause the loss of all data on the 4 drives in that raid 1+0. The better option is to get 4 more 750 GB drives and replace each of the 160 GB drives one at a time (you will need to check the ACU and verify that the rebuild completed before inserting the next 750 GB drive). Once that is done, go into the ADU again and you will see the original raid 1+0 is intact, with all of your data AND you will see the option to create a new logical drive with the extra space it found.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Alan Dobbs

Since I do not know the capabilities of the ACU this is how I understand to keep all the data.
Remove just 1 of the 160G drives then insert a 750G
Within the ACU {rescan} the controller and select ├в Show Physical view├в and see if it was detected as a 750G
Then what?
Remove the 2nd drive and put in a 2nd 750G and repeate the process?
Seems to simple.....
Sorry for not knowing but I just want to know all the proper steps to do without a re-format and keep the OS data..
Is it just as easy as just inset the 2nd 750G drive once the ACU detected the 1st 750G?

Regards
Alan
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

After you replace drive #1 with the 750GB drive go into the ACU and watch the rebuild progress. DO NOT replace the next drive until the rebuild is complete. Continue the pattern of replacing the drive, then waiting until the rebuild completes for each drive. Once the final drive is finished rebuilding you should see the additional space available within the ACU. Once you see this you can create a new logical drive.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You want to replace a RAID 5 array with RAID 10. How much space is available on the RAID 5? If less than 1/2 it can be tricky. You need to add a spare drive with the 750 GB and then fail over one of the 160GB to it. Get very food verified backups first. Do one drive a day. Once you replace all the RAID 5 drives with 750GB, then try to convert to RAID 10. You need a battery cached controller to do it. I would recommend doing it the old fashion way. Backup. Reconfigure. Restore. Less issues.
Alan Dobbs

Thanks for the feedback to all.
Tomorrow at the office I will do as stated and swap one drive by one.
Having 4 drives 750G each as a raid 0+1 will give 1.5TB..
Then the 2 drives of 1.5Tb raid 0+1 will give 1.5TB..
Totaling 3Tb the max of the server as I have read and heard since the E200i raid controller is embedded in the MoBo that it has a max (total) of 3Tb.
This is why I cannot stuff a total of 6 drives of 2 Tb each.
If I configure as a raid 5 for the 4 drives of 750G in addition to the 1.5 I put in the last 2 slots it then will put me over the 3Tb limit.
I had to go in the closet and find some older 750G├в s but the 4 750G├в swill defiantly be redundant.
But for this application having 3Tb on this server will be fine.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

It should be able to handle at least 6 TB storage:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12460_div/12460_div.html

And I believe (Might be wrong), that those limitations is due to the available drive size, at the time of creating the document.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

And once you have replaced all 4 drives in array A.
You can create more Logical drives.
Or extend the existing logical drive, if your OS support it.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo