ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752831 Members
3607 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G5 Procedure to remove HotPlug Hard Disk

Rui Rosado

Proliant ML350 G5 Procedure to remove HotPlug Hard Disk

Hi, I have a Proliant ML350 G5 and from what I have read, Hot Plug HD may require a procedure to remove HotPlug Hard Disk safely.

I have windows Server 2003 installed with 2 hotplug SAS drives raid 0+1 and another one in separate.

Is this done via Windows Software or HP ML350 G5 Software? Or can I just remove it from the bay while its online...?please advice.

Thanks.

Rui Rosado
6 REPLIES 6
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

""Or can I just remove it from the bay while its online...?please advice.""

yes you just remove the HDD while is online no software intervention is needed

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Berm├║dez
Frequent Advisor

Steps:

1 - Releasing the latch
2 - Removing the hard drive holder assembly
3 - Undoing the hard drive holder assembly

You could find here a picture that describes the steps
Berm├║dez
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, here is the picture
Nick Walton
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rui,

I am not so sure that the "Hot Plug" drives are designed for "Hot Unplug" operation. This issue has been raised many times over the last years on this forum. Go ahead and search the forum for other postings.

If the drive has failed then, of course, just go ahead and remove it with the server online and running. Insert the new replacement drive which will "Hot Plug" and be ready for configuration.

If the drive you wish to remove has not failed (and you are removing it for some other reason) then you should shut down the server before removing the drive. Any new drive can be fitted while offline or while online (as a Hot Plug).

Hope that helps,

Nick.
It's got two chances - it will either work or it won't!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

this is not true

""If the drive you wish to remove has not failed (and you are removing it for some other reason) then you should shut down the server before removing the drive. Any new drive can be fitted while offline or while online (as a Hot Plug)."""

you can remove a healthy HDD and there is not need to shutdown the server

why because I've done and also because a lot of people do that too in order to test the fault tolerance feature also other people want to increase HDD space so they remove a 72GB HDD and insert a 300 GB for instance

so there is no need to shutdown a server to replace or remove a faulty / healthy HDD

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Rui Rosado

That is what confused me. I read even in HP documentents, something like, CAUTION: Hot Plug doesnt mean that you can remove the drive before software intervention.

I just bought a new Server and I am testing this scenarios. My purpose is to have an array of 1+0 with 2 hard disks and from time to time remove one and insert a spare one so I can have a "backup". I was wondering if I could do this with the server online.

After testing it appears that can be done.
I remove one of the HD from the array, went to Array Configuration Utility and delete the HD in the second Bay. After that inserted the spare disk and he reagend the array.

Thanks.