ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753510 Members
5670 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 G5 SBS 2003 Reboots unexpectedly

Jens Breiland

Proliant ML350 G5 SBS 2003 Reboots unexpectedly

We have a Proliant ML350 G5 running Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 that reboots unexpectedly. It has 2x250Gb SATA drives in a raid-1 configuration. When the reboots occur it seems to be related to heavy disk usage like during a copy or backup, which can be using just the RAID system or a USB-connected portable drive, also when ntbackup starts it takes a long time to start the backup job starting the shadow copy service.

Unfortunately, there is not much useful information in the Windows system event log to help us isolate the problem. I tested the memory and ran some of hp's diagnostics from the bios but it did not indicate a problem. I also left the side panel off in case it is a problem with overheating. Also, HP tech support has had me make sure everything is securely seated inside the unit. Has anyone else had a problem like this where their server just reboots? Any thoughts on a resolution? My next thought is that the power supply or some other hardware issue is the source of the restarting. Perhaps somewhere in the storage system as it seems to be related to heavy drive usage. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant ML350 G5 SBS 2003 Reboots unexpectedly

Jens,

any entires in the ilo_event_log (power down for example) or in the iml!?

May you also should disable ASR in the RBSU and activate the function to write a 'MiniDump' for further analysis @ M$

also bes ure to use the latest driver
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html

regards
mike

luka_6
Advisor

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on the same HPML350G5 model and OS (Windows 2003 SBS) with little different configuration (4X512 GB, 3x72 GB SAS no other accessories). Event represents it self like short power failure.

I have also discovered that server reboots on heavy load (for example. copy lots of files across disks, ntbackup to some network drive).

There are also no errors in any of log files (HP and Windows), HP agents are all green. The server was also tested before shipment to the customer.

I have also change the problematic server with another HP ML350G5 and the symptoms are the same.

Regards,
luka_6
Advisor

It looks like it was the HPCISSS2.SYS (HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003) version 5.10.0.32 from 2 Oct 06.

It showed up when I disabled reboot at system failure on my Windows 2003 server.

Now I'm testing the previous version of the driver.

I will check in later with more results.

L.
luka_6
Advisor

Old driver same problem :-(

L.
luka_6
Advisor

Finally found the solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912944

Order the patch and install it.

L.
Girish_hp
Occasional Visitor

Hi i am experiencing same problem. I have newly joined in here but since yesterday computer is getting rebooting. We have connected through KVM Switch. so whenever we keep idle the server & try to login again by pressing KVM switch means it is getting restarted. Please reply...