ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753817 Members
8530 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 G5 shutdown

Stuart337

Proliant ML350 G5 shutdown

My machine shuts itself off after approx 1 hour. Any idea what could be causing this?
Regards

Stuart
10 REPLIES 10
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML350 G5 shutdown

Shuts off or reboots? If the server shuts off after an hour it sounds like there may be an actual power problem (possibly power supply or power backplane). Are there any errors in the integrated management log or the event viewer?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Stuart337

Thanks for the quick reply.
The machine simply turns itself off. I am using Windows Small Business Server 2003.
I am no expert on servers so could you explain how to get to the log file?
Thanks
Difladermaus
Advisor

Log into to the ILO and you can check the log through there or you can see it through the systems managment homepage log tab.

If you don't have ILO connected you should. The newest PSP even makes it easier becasue they finally made a ILO config application you can use from within Windows instead of breaking in to do it during boot up.

-Dif

fyi I am currently going investigating an issue with machine reboots. The only indication I have is in the ILO event log (via ILO)
Stuart337

The only thing I can see is the that the Version Control Agent starts up and then shuts down roughly an hour later. Could this be responsible?
No errors in any of the logs.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Do you at least see event ID 6008's in the event log? These would be errors indicating the previous system shutdown was unexpected. If those are not occurring then Windows thinks this is a planned shutdown.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Barrelas
Occasional Visitor

Is this server a DC? If not, check Aplication Log on event viewer. I think W2003 SBS must be configured as a Domain Controller.
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

Is the server hanging?

Whats the configuration on the server?
Jonathan Rullan
Occasional Advisor

The first thing you'll need to find out is whether it is powering off instantly or is Windows shutting itself down. Check the event viewer in Windows and see if there is a reason for power down. If there is no reason (Windows had an unexpected shutdown), I would check power (from power supply to UPS). How's the cooling in the area where server is located? Maybe a fan is dead causing overheating?

Is this a new server in place or one that has been in place for a while?
Stuart337

Guys, figured it out. I hadnt set up the server as a domain controller and it automatically switches off after 1 hour if this is not done, apparantly. Thanks for all your help and advice.