cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant ML350 G5

Duane Hoover
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML350 G5

I am loading windows 2008 x64 and it keeps asking for a Flat File directory. I have no clue what this is?
15 REPLIES
Bermúdez
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant ML350 G5

Hi,

What you need to do is type: /mount/dvd on the OS File Directory text box.

I also send you a picture wher you could see an example.
Duane Hoover
Occasional Contributor

I type in /mount/dvd it tells me invalid directory
Bermúdez
Frequent Advisor

One question are you using the SmartStart CD for 64 bit?

Here are 2 options that you could try.

There is a screen that says: "Please insert DVD media and press continue ". You will get this screen before you have to write down: /mount/dvd/

If you click continue without removing Smartstart CD (either physically or ilo) and write /mount/dvd/ you will get that message:
invalid entry

But, and only when you remove your Smartstart CD - insert your Windows DVD wait few seconds (as usual when you mount DVD-CDROM...) and click continue... you just write /mount/dvd/ and will work

I send you a picture.
Duane Hoover
Occasional Contributor

Thank You for quick response. It still doesnt work. I upgraded smartstart to 8.15 hoping that would work. went from windows 2008 (32bit) to windows 2003 32 bit still no luck so I am not sure what I am messing
Bermúdez
Frequent Advisor

The easiest way to solve this problem is making a stand alone installation.

Deploy the server using only the Windows DVD, and after that install the PSP:

ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 x64 Editions

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121586&prodNameId=3279711&swEnvOID=4024&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-a60c44a46d344272bf17ff919c

Installation:
Important: The ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 contains numerous files. All files must be present in the same directory as the HPSUM.EXE program or in order for the Support Pack to be installed properly.

Primary Installation Method

* Run the HPSUM.EXE program included with the Support Pack.
Note: By default, all software is selected for installation. In most circumstances this default selection should not be altered.

* Click the "Install" button to proceed with the installation.
Note: Even when selected, only software that is appropriate for the system it is being run on will actually be installed. After installation of the appropriate software, the utility will display its results, including indication of software successfully installed, software not needed for the current system configuration, and any installation failures.

Command Prompt Installation

* A BPXXXXXX.CMD file is also provided with the Support Pack for use in installing the Support Pack from a command prompt without user interaction. As with the HPSUM.EXE program, all software appropriate for the system it is being run on will be installed.

For additional usage information, refer to the BPXXXXXX.TXT file included in this Bundle Package.

Note: If you install a PSP and then install an operating system Service Pack or other operating system updates, HP recommends reinstalling the PSP.
Duane Hoover
Occasional Contributor

Thank You very much that did the trick
Bermúdez
Frequent Advisor

Does it work?
Duane Hoover
Occasional Contributor

yes it did work
Ryan Villanueva
Occasional Visitor

This did not work for me. I am using a DL320 G5 (64bit proc.), installing Windows Server 2008 Std Edition x64.

I have tried to mount the dvd by typing and by using the browse button. Also, EVERY time I install using just the DVD, I get a Windows error saying it could not be installed and to restart and complete the installation. I used the Server Diagnosis and all came out clean.

Why doesn't the Smart Start disc work? DO I need to do something else also, or perhaps try using a different version (8.0?)
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

just in case it is \mount\dvd

not /mount/dvd

correct "\"
\mount\dvd

incorrect "/"
/mount/dvd
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
David Biddle2
Occasional Visitor

I have the same problem although a little different now that I'm using the 8.15 smartstart for x64. Once I choose the dvd the screen goes gray, the dvd light stays on solid and it remains this way indefinitely. If I right click and reload, it brings me to smartstart home page. Using 2008 enterprise x64 DVD media and it's not working.
I'm booting off the windows DVD now and just installing windows 2008 and that looks to be going well. So, don't use the stupidstart hp cd, just boot off windows cd/dvd and save yourself some trouble.
Pedroski
Occasional Visitor

I too, as well as many others on various forums, was getting the "invalid directory" error when I typed in "?mount/DVD". I played ng with it a bit and figured out that it may be a Linux root structure character issue. Instead of putting in "/mount/DVD", add an extra backslash in front of mount, so it would be "//mount/DVD". Worked like a champ for me; the Windows Server files started loading away.
David Biddle2
Occasional Visitor

I'll try the double backslash meathod after I download the DVD from Microsoft again. My install seemed to be going well directly from the 2008 DVD but then came to a hault because one of the files was corrupt (maybe this is why the dvd drive and smartstart locked up in my case?). I had to download the DVD from the microsoft volume licensing website, hopefully this time it works. I'll know tomorrow.
David Biddle2
Occasional Visitor

I was using the ISO Recorder v3 on vista to burn the DVD. After checking, it seems the DVDs I was burning were bad. So using 8.15 of smartstart (X64 version) and using a good burning program to write my windows svr 2008 x64 dvd, I was able to get through this and install the os. When you are promted for the dvd files, use the browse button and just select the dvd folder.
Neil Cummings
Occasional Advisor

Use SmartStart 8.30, this works.