cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant ML350 G6 Hyper-V Server

chenriques
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML350 G6 Hyper-V Server

I have an HP ProLiant ML350 G6 that I want to use with Hyper-V Server 2012 to host up to 9 VM's.

The server has this specs:

• 1 x Intel Xeon E5606 2.13GHz LGA1366 (the motherboard supports 2 CPU's, but has only one at this moment)
  • RAM: 12GB DDR3 Triple Channel (18 slots, 3 used, 15 available)

This are the VM's I'll need:

• 3 x Linux Servers (Debian), mostly for Document Management System (Apache, PostegreSQL, File Storage). One is for production and 2 for development;
  • 1 x company web server - Windows Server. 2 SQL Server instances, IIS and Tomcat;
  • 2 x Windows Server for development (IIS+SQL Server);
  • 3 x test machines (Windows XP, 7 & 8). Just for software testing\debugging

So, in total I need 9 VM's. But:

• One of the Linux Servers will only be needed for a couple of months and will be shutdown then.
  • The 3 test machines will only be running when needed.

This is a small company, with only 16 employees. Most of the servers are only for testing, and have low usage. The others are mostly web servers (internal), and with a small company like this, they don't get much traffic.

I need to upgrade the server's RAM. That's a fact. And I'm thinking in adding more 24GB of DDR3, that makes a total of 36GB RAM. Any problem?

My concern is the CPU. Here are the detailed specs from Intel: http://ark.intel.com/products/52583

It's a quad-core without HT (just 4 threads) at 2.13GHz. Can he take care of all the VM's? If not, what's the best upgrade option, upgrade to a better CPU (wich one?) or add a second Xeon E5606?

Thanks in advance :)

This thread has been moved from Servers > Planning to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)