ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748116 Members
3468 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 G6 - power a graphics card through molex connectors?

SOLVED
Go to solution
DeadMoney
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML350 G6 - power a graphics card through molex connectors?

Do I have to buy this cable, which seems both expensive and generally unavailable, to power a graphics card in my ML350 G6, or can I just hook it up to a couple of molex? I'm looking at something like a GTX 750 Ti or better. It's going to be used only for BOINC. My PSUs are 1200W.

Also, I would like to update the bios but find nothing available for my OS, Ubuntu 14.04.3, in the list for my server. I bought the server on craigslist and it's out of warranty.

6 REPLIES 6
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

The support page for the ML350G6 is at:

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=3884315

You should download all of the manuals for this system while they are still available. Hopefully when you bought the system it came with all of the HP CDs. Maintaining a ProLiant server is not the same as maintaining a regular PC. For example, to update the BIOS you need to use the utilities included on the CDs. There are some Linux based utilties that you can download but the latest version supported is Ubuntu 11.04.

Bear in mind that the ML350G6 is over 5 years old, so it will not support PCIe 3.0, but the 750 Ti will work fine in a 2.0 slot. The 750 Ti is probably a good choice as it uses little power (as low as 60W for some versions). Rather than try and find the graphics power cable, you may want to consider a single fan version of the 750 Ti as there are models that do not require the 6-pin power connector.

Whether you need the graphics power cable would depend upon what else is in the system (how many hard drives, memory modules, fans). Unless you are running a big drive array I imagine that the 1200W psu should handle a low power graphics card running off of the spare molex connectors. But if you have a lot of hard drives installed or opt for a higher end graphics card with high power requirements, you're better off to balance the load on the psu with the proper graphics power cable.

DeadMoney
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Edwin. Yeah, this is my first server so I'm a little intimidated.

It only has 3 SAS drives so I hope that's not too many. Thanks for the link, I had downloaded the user guide and maintenance and service guide already.

Unfortunately CDs were not included with the purchase and I don't think there is any related HP server software on the machine.

Do you think the 11.04 bios update would work? Sounds a little scary. I wouldn't want to brick the thing.

I would be happy to get the GPU cable if I could find one for a reasonable price but so far all the resellers that list it at all are out of stock. I would even make one up myself if I could get the correct 10-pin connector somewhere and knew the pinouts.

Thanks again, at least I feel confident enough to start shopping for a card now.

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor
Solution

3 drives is not a lot with a 1200W psu. We are running 4 SATA drives with a 750W psu. First make a note of what version the BIOS currently is. The challenge will be finding the right version of Linux to install. You'll notice that there are lots of downloads for RedHat, but not many for Ubuntu, and that Ubuntu 9 and 10 list BIOS updates but 11.04 does not. Our system came with a Firmware Maintenance CD, so you'll have to research updating the BIOS / firmware before you attempt it, but hopefully you won't need to. Note that you can still get firmware updates for some of the hardware, but the latest BIOS requires a service contract (you'll find the d/l locked). Many people prefer to update all of the BIOS and firmware but for your intended use you may be safer to leave the system if it's running fine.

I did manage to find a download for the HP SmartStart CD in case you need to setup the system from scratch again:

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_79a9d41ce8944c80ac14ad925e

That's the 64-bit version. If you need the 32-bit version you should be able to find it easily enough. BTW, I happened upon a US company supplying refurbished parts: http://www.igsmn.com/. Maybe you can get a cable cheap there?

DeadMoney
Occasional Contributor

The current bios says D22 05/05/2011 but I think I'm going to take your advice and just leave it be since, as you say, it's running fine and it's only a hobby machine anyway.

The IGS link didn't have the cable but they do have an ebay store, so my ebay followed search should pick it up if they ever list it using the correct part number. However, having followed that link into ebay I did find another cable which at least looks quite similar to the HP part - although it is in China unfortunately.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSU-10P-to-8Pin-6Pin-Power-cable-for-HP-DL580-DL585-DL980-G7-Server-Power-kit-/141616783732?hash=item20f904a174:g:CzcAAOSwR0JUTABj

I'll write and ask them what the wire gauge and rated wattage are.

Thanks again for the advice!

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

For IGS you don't necessarily have to find the part on-line. They have an on-line form for requesting price quotes via e-mail, so just send the server model and part number & description and maybe they have one in stock. I just picked up a spare hard drive, power supply and memory at half of retail (they were used parts).

For the graphics card, I would probably look for older chip sets. These are server machines and not designed to do heavy graphics, so they can be a bit finicky when using 3rd party graphics cards. You might find that a modern graphics card is not compatible with the old hardware. If it's a hobby machine you might want to consider the used market,

cincnnatiman

this server has diffrent revsion for the powersupply black board i seen 3 diffrent one .0nt kinds each haveing a 10 pin un used plug 

as far as video power i must disagree i can install a nivida qudrop plex with two video cards 4 gigs each

or i can install one card and a teslas , or i can install nvidia telas server,   

what none of u have seen is this,  this server has no tpm chip find the chip install it install seagagte es sed harddrives install os of choice use new parttion manager make shure bitlocker is unlock make a gui parttion  once done go in bios reset the keys to tpm   reinable bitlocker u just made a server that is for most part hack proof      i went out spent 150 for unit. spent 25.00 tpm card spent 25.oo get right baffles up graded memory 40 gigs . get 3 500 gig sed drives 35.00 each

install new cpu 5660  65.00 two power supplys 750 watts each 25.00 . hp lto4 tape backup life left 95% install new power cable if needed or install plex   dose any one know what i made.  thing so so fast post boot forever,  

booting os is secs  have 450 gig pcie fusion drive cost today market 3200 might find some cheeper

this unit bult to hadle what ever u want windows 7 server 2916  this has become a power house. right now running spichle build vmware 6.5 for hp servers

and 2016 installed   this server is for sale it is in all respeck bult right two raid cards one for drives one handle tape drive alone 

has 6 eathernet ports for vmware usb 2.0 it is every thing i do take paypal. server month getting parts doing work.i seen today cost for these top 5000.00 but not close what mine has bottom 200.00 and strip server 

prise 1800.00 with out the plex with pelx 2800.00 cincinnatiman_45214@hotmail.com this just done and kicks but and is well worth money no os istalll but will give u the spichel build vmware 6.5 note u will must add drivers to vmware for see fusion drive as to all cards it dont have drivers to