1753868 Members
7339 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant ML350 Gen10 Second HDD cage

Jiri-P
Occasional Visitor

Proliant ML350 Gen10 Second HDD cage

Proliant ML350 Gen10 now supports mixing SFF and LFF drive cages.

My question is, what components do I need, if I want to install LFF cage to server with installed one SFF cage and P408i-a SR controller, to install additional SATA drives.. I've read documentation for server, controller, cage, but I'm still not sure what is included in drive cage kit and what to buy extra.

I know that I need:

874566-B21 4 LFF Hot-Plug hard drive cage

What else ?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Refer to the OverView page for ML350 Gen10 server: 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00027626en_us

Supports mixed LFF and SFF drive cages within the same server for tiered storage. 

NOTE: Now the system can support mixed SFF and LFF HDD cages in one system, for example, 4LFF + 8SFF + 4LFF based on a 4 LFF chassis

874566-B21 4 LFF Hot-Plug hard drive cage, this kit contains the below parts

Blank Large Form Factor (LFF) reduced depth
Hot Plug Hard drive backplane supports 4-Large Form Factor (LFF), 12 Gb/s transfer rate SAS

Thank you

[Moderator edit: Updated the link. You may also refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Jiri-P
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for reply. To be sure, so I need only:

874566-B21 4 LFF Hot-Plug hard drive cage, this kit contains the below parts Blank Large Form Factor (LFF) reduced depth
Hot Plug Hard drive backplane supports 4-Large Form Factor (LFF), 12 Gb/s transfer rate SAS

No cable, no additional stuff? I don't have server yet, so I can't check directly what is inside.

DANDKS
HPE Pro

HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller has Internal: 8 SAS/SATA lanes across 2 x4 Mini-SAS ports. This will support upto 8 Hard Drives with two SAS cables. Depending on the number of Drives added to the server, more cables are required.

Since the controller support only 8 Hard Drives, for more than 8 Drives, an Expander or another PCIe based Controller needs to be added in the server.

By default, the server will be shipped with two SAS cables.

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Luciano2
Occasional Advisor

I have a similar question.

All examples that I found are about ML350G10 with  4LFF+8SFF+4SFF but my case (ML350G10 P21788-B21) is relative to 8SFF+4LFF+4LFF.

More precisely, I have a native 8 SFF disk tray and I would like to add two 4 LFF disk tray.

Do you know if this is an admitted configuration?

Gyorgy
Established Member

Hello,  I have the same question:  Base model P21788-421 with 8SFF cage. To expand with a 4LFF cage the following parts seem to be adequate:

874566-B21 HPE ML350 Gen10 4LFF HDD Cage Kit
874574-B21 HPE ML350 Gen10 LFF SA/HBA Cable Kit
830824-B21 HPE Smart Array P408i-p SR Gen10 Ctrlr

is there somebody who has already made the expansion?    (I don't see why the Quick Spec. advise the 4LFF-8FF-4LFF set,   If cable length would be the problem, then position of the cages can be swapped)

thanks

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Gyorgy 

Thank you for writing to us! 

You might want to consider creating a new topic by utilizing the "New Discussion" button, as this will not only enhance visibility compared to the old topic but also boost your chances of receiving responses from experts.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo