ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752397 Members
5623 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML350 IDE HDD Problem

Axel Jacobs

Proliant ML350 IDE HDD Problem

I have a Proliant ML350 PIII 600 server with SmartArray 221, 3 9Gb SCSI HDD in RAID 5. My OS is Win 2000 server. I would like to add a new IDE HDD on the motherboard's IDE controler for data storage. After having connected this new ide hdd (he is correctely recognised by the system) and checked the boot sequence in the bios (1st RAID Smartarray card, 2d IDE controler), my system do not boot at all ! It seems to me that the system tries to boot on the new ide hdd, which does not have any os.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's causing this issue? any help is greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

ML350 is a SCSI based Server none of IDE on board controllers can be used for IDE HDD. Only with: Optional IDE PCI Controller Card.
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Perhaps you have to select de smartarray as bootcontroller trhough the rom based setup utility...

greetzzz
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Axel Jacobs

To KOV : After posting the question I did install a PCI SATA controller card and a Sata HDD, the same problem occurs. The system does not boot.

To Tv : How can access this rom setup utility ?

Thx
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

entering aray configuration during post screen. F8 I believe.

or entering rom based setup. F9 I believe

greetzzz
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
e4services
Honored Contributor

You must be able to have some configuration of the IDE controllers BIOS to be successful. The added controller must be able to be configured to noot load it's BIOS so it will not be in the boot strap, otherwise it will attempt to boot from it's bus.
Most inexpensive controllers just assume that you will be booting from them. A more sophisticated one will have a configuration menu so to avoid this.
And they are correct you can not use the servers onboard IDE for a HD.
Hot Swap Hard Drives