108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 Servers relocation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Manos Pantelidakis
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML350 Servers relocation

My company currently owns 3 Proliant ML350 G3 tower model servers, each one with 3 or 4 hot plug hard drives. We plan to relocate our offices and i am not sure if i have to remove the hard drives from the hot plug hard drive cage to prevent any damage or leave them inside the cage during the relocation. The moving company is an expert but i really dont know how sensitive the internal connectors and sockets are. What do you think about this situation ? Thanks in advance !
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant ML350 Servers relocation

Hello Manos,
You do not need to remove the HDDs or any other components from the system. The packagine which comes with the server is pretty robust to handle the moving stress. Like you said that the moving Company is pretty good and am sure once you mark the Items as Static sensitive or Handle with Care then surely they do a great job.

Regards,
Manos Pantelidakis
Occasional Contributor

Hello Sunil, thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately we did discard the original packaging so the moving company will provide us special boxes and "bubbles" for the server packaging. Anyway if we decide to remove the hard disks we have to be 10 times more careful for their packaging and be sure to reinstall them later in the exact order. This is more complex and i think more risky so i think that we will follow your advice and remove nothing from the servers.
e4services
Honored Contributor

You can also purchase new shipping boxes from HP if you need.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Manos Pantelidakis
Occasional Contributor

This is a good idea! I will try to purchase new shipping boxes from HP!
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Manos,
This is part no for the return kit which should be looking for:

Return Kit (Tower Model, only) 249929-001

Regards,