1745808 Members
4019 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML350 g6 install second processor

Jose22

Proliant ML350 g6 install second processor

Good night.
I have a ProLiant ML350 server g6 and want to install a second processor. I have to update the bios, but I need some other card or accessory to work? Or change any configuration? I think the proliant 350 g5 had an expansion slot where a card had to settle for the second processor, but I have not seen anything for the g6.
Sorry for my bad English
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Manoj Mudaliar
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant ML350 g6 install second processor

Hello Jose22,

Its a good idea to update the firmware before you add a new processor. You will need to install a VRM(Voltage Regulatory Module) which is shipped with the new CPU. The slot for the VRM is usually next to the CPU or you can refer the Maintenance manual for the exact location.

One thing you need to be careful of before you buy the new CPU is the stepping level(version) of the current CPU as the version difference between two CPUs cannot be more than one.

Hope this helps and if does please rate the solution as it helps me more of our freinds.

Regards,

Manoj M.
Jose22

Thank you very much for your reply.

The ml350 G5 has a slot for connecting something like a cartridge or similar (VRM module I guess) and I see a reference to this slot in the lid of the server. But I don├В┬┤t see this slot at 350 g6, or references in the top or manuals I have read. The processor I've received and is exactly the same as the first, but the box is only the processor, heatsink and fan. There is no more fitting. Is VRM purchased separately? Any manual for this?

Thank you very much
Manoj Mudaliar
Frequent Advisor

Hello Jose,

My mistake VRM is called PPM in HP servers.

You can download the HP ProLiant ML350 Generation 5 Server Maintenance and Service Guide from the web below web page

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121586

and look for PPM installation/removal instructions and its location on the motherboard under topic Component Identification -> System Board components.
In the layout diagram it is indiated by number 23.(I have attached a file which indicates the location)

Note: PPM for the first CPU is in built(onboard) so you cant see it.

Let me know if you need more help.

Regards,

Manoj M.
Jose22

Sorry. I need information for ML350 G6, not G5. It is in a ML350 G6 where I don├В┬┤t see slot to put the PPM or VRM and where i need to install second processor
Thank you very much
Jose22

I see this manual for G6

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01704616/c01704616.pdf

But i don├В┬┤t see references to PPM or VRM
It├В┬┤s not necesary for ML350 G6 when install secon processor?

Thanks
Manoj Mudaliar
Frequent Advisor

Hello Jose,

Sorry for the earlier information, you were right, for ML350 G6 you dont need any additional hardware to be installed along with the add on CPU, but please refere the below information given in the document which is equally important.

Do not mix single-, dual-, or quad-core processors or processors with different speeds or cache sizes.

Regards,

Manoj M.