ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751894 Members
4768 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370 G1 RAID 1; failed HD

Budimir Drincic

Proliant ML370 G1 RAID 1; failed HD

One of my HD in RAID 1 failed. I got new HD and just plugged it in and it still shows error (red light), I tried another HD without success. Is there anything else that I should do in order to recover failed HD?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Ameen Khan S_1
Advisor

Hi,

what is config of the HDD? Is it the exact same hdd as the failed one? If the hard drive is exactly the same one then try reseating the scsi backplane. I hope you have a verified backup of your server. It should resolve the issue.

Even if doesnt resolve the issue, run the adu and get the report.

Thanks
Budimir Drincic

Hi,
This server comes with integrated Smart Array Controller. Two HD are configured in RAID 1. Replaced HD comes from Compaq, exactly the same as filed one. Can you please explain to me how to reset the scsi backplane
Thanks for reply
David Graham_8
Advisor

Budimir,

Did you remove the old drive? If you put it in a different slot it won't automatically rebuild.

Dave
Budimir Drincic

Yes, I did and then tried two new drives without success (one after another. Will resetting scsi backplane destroy data on disk or not?
Ameen Khan S_1
Advisor

ITs not resetting the SCSI backplane it is reseating the backplane connector. IF you open the server when you access the rear of the hard drive cage. You will see a circuit board at the rear of the hard drive cage. You have to reseat the cable which runs from the backplane to the system board and reseat the other end as well. Data is not lost but still i would recommend you to take a verified back up of your data before you do that.

Thanks
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well that error light does not go away until the rebuild is finished.
Automatic data recovery is an automatic background process that rebuilds data onto a spare or replacement drive when another drive in the array fails. This process is also called rebuild.
If a drive in a fault-tolerant configuration is replaced while the system power is off, a Power-On Self-Test (POST) message is displayed during the next system startup. This message prompts you to press the F1 key to start automatic data recovery. If automatic data recovery is not enabled, the logical volume remains in a ready-to-recover condition and the same POST message is displayed whenever the system is restarted.
When automatic data recovery has finished, the Online LED of the replacement drive stops blinking and begins to glow steadily.
Failure of Automatic Data Recovery
If the Online LED of the replacement drive stops blinking during automatic data recovery, there are three possible causes:
├В┬╖ If the Online LED is glowing continuously, automatic data recovery was successful and has finished.
├В┬╖ If the amber failure LED is illuminated or other LEDs go out, the replacement drive has failed and is producing unrecoverable disk errors. Remove and replace the failed replacement drive.
├В┬╖ If the automatic data recovery process has abnormally terminated, one possible cause is a non-correctable read error on another physical drive. The system may temporarily become operational if rebooted. In any case, locate the faulty drive, replace it, and restore data from ba
Hot Swap Hard Drives