1752786 Members
5744 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370 G1 smartstart .ovl file error

Michael McMahon_1
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ML370 G1 smartstart .ovl file error

I am trying to reinstall windows 2000 on my Proliant ML370 G1 with Smartstart 4.5 but have hit a problem. I run the system erase utility without a problem but when I run the System Configuration Utility I hit an error after I choose Window 2000. As it starts to run the sys config utility I recieve the following error.

" The overlay (OVL) file associated with the board being added does not contain a valid header. The file may be corrupt. The board will not be added.

Configuration file name !CPQ0690.CFG
Overlay file name CPQSYS07.OVL "

I hit enter to continue and another error says that I cannot continue without the file.

I have reinstalled the BIOS but it made no difference.

Does anybody have any idea how I might resolve this problem

Many thanks

Michael
9 REPLIES 9
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

I don't know why this happens.

Do you have access to a newer SmartStart CD (up to v5.50 sice V6.0 and above only support new servers with setup in ROM) ?

If not you can try a manual installation. You can download the system configuration utility and other drivers and tools from the HP web site:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1119.html?lang=en&cc=us

Run SCU from floppy disk. Configure system.

Boot from SmartStart CD and create system partition.

Download driver disk for Smart Array controller (if you've got one)

Boot from Windows CD, use F6 to tell it to use a different controller driver (if needed)

Do a basic OS installation

Download and install proliant support pack (os driver package)
Michael McMahon_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Martin

Thanks for your help - I have tried SmartStart 5.5 put unfortunatly I get the same error message.

I only set up the original server a few days ago with 5.5 and had no problems. When I download all the critical updates from Microsoft it completely filled by C: drive making it impossible to add new software since no temp space was available. So I decided to reinstall from the start and that is when I ran into this problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

cheers

Michael
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

I still don't know what causes this problem.

System Erase should already do that but you can try to manually clear the NVRAM via dip switch. There should be label inside the box which describes the dip switch block and its location. I think it is switch #6 and its probably labeled 'NVRAM clear' or something like that. But better check that before you change any switches.
Greg Remer

I have the same problem!
have spent a whole day trying to sort this out, anyone got any ideas????

please email me on greg@storm-it.net

Thanks
Michael McMahon_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Greg

Unfortunatly I got swamped with other work and couldn't get back to this - but I tried everything suggested and still no luck. I will be getting back to it next week.

If I find a solution I will post it here.

cheers

Michael
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

HI,

One more thing
open the following link
download earse utility. Try to reconfigure server using these utility instead of smart start.

http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/manual-smartstart.html

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Greg Remer

Michael,

Found out why this was not working.
basically the ML370 Proliant server G1 was supposed to have a array controller in it. but hay guess what i found out its not there.

Now i knew this i download the ultra scsi driver for windows 2000 off their website.
If you want the driver that i downloaded then email me and i'll send you it, other wise click the link below;

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17320.html

and put it onto a floppy booted up Server with windows 2000 server cd pressed F6 and added the scsi controller, and bingo now have install server with windows 2000 server and all drivers are picked up by windows.

the error CPQ0690.cfg is because it couldn't find the array controller, if you have the card it should work. but i never and this is how i overcome this issue.

Good luck Guys
Michael McMahon_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Greg,

Thanks very much - I will give that a shot. Sounds like it just might be the answer to my problems. You may just have saved me from a nervous breakdown.

cheers

Michael
Greg Remer

Michael,

I spent 1 whole day on the phone to compaq about this issue, believe me i was pissed off yesterday.

Good Luck