cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant ML370 G2 & Smartstart 7.10

Jeremy_135
Occasional Visitor

Proliant ML370 G2 & Smartstart 7.10

I hae a Proliant ML370 G2 & SmartStart CD 7.10. In our company we have built our own Windows 2000 Server CDs with integrated service pack, applications, hotfixes, and answer files. Basically a completely automated CD. The problem I am having is we are use to the process where we take ML370 G1 and SmartStart CD 5.40 and create our array, save the configuration (which sets up the compaq partition), reboot with our Windows 2000 CD and walk away. The new SmartStart CD 7.l0 that we are using does not allow this ie you can create the array but in order to get an installation started you have to go through the OS installation wizard which the SmartStart CD uses to create its own answer file, effectively ignoring our automated CD version and causing the CD to eventually error out. We seem to only be able to use a regular Windows 2000 CD which is tedious at best.

What I am wanting to do is create the array and have the SmartStart CD create the Compaq(HP) partition instead of using the SmartStart OS installation wizard. Is this possible? If so how? TIA.

Jeremy
2 REPLIES
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML370 G2 & Smartstart 7.10

Please look for SmartStart Scripting Toolkit:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/toolkit/
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML370 G2 & Smartstart 7.10

If with your SmartStart 7.x you choose manual installation, it will prompt you through the array creation and then you can remove the SS CD and insert your custom W2K CD and reboot to start your installation.

You actually have an even simpler choice (as long as the array configuration isn't too complex). Systems that use SS 6.x and later have a feature called Onboard ROM-based Configuration for Arrays (ORCA). After you see the drives being spun up, you'll get a prompt to press [F8] to enter RAID configuration. You can do it there and then boot your custom W2K CD.