ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752805 Members
5406 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML370 G3 Ubuntu Server disk error

Jonesy_2

Proliant ML370 G3 Ubuntu Server disk error

Hi I've just got my hands on a second hand ML370 G3. I'm not using the SCSI drives but I've attached an IDE HDD. I'm trying to install the latest version of Ubuntu Server. I've installed it onto the HDD but when it comes to booting into it the server has no idea that the HD exists. When I put the Ubuntu boot disk in, i can select boot from 1st hard drive but I get a disk error.

I'm not at server just now so cant state the error number which isn't gonna help but i'm just wondering if anyone knows why this might be?

Also, when I boot up the server it tells me its setup to run Windows 2000/2003...?

Any help most appreciated!

/Jonesy
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML370 G3 Ubuntu Server disk error

> I'm not using the SCSI drives

You are not but the server might be trying to (and succeding). Have you changed the boot controller order and the boot device in the BIOS?
Jonesy_2

there SCSI bays are empty so shouldn't be able to succeed at that should it?

I've tried changing the BOOT order in BIOS but Hard Disk is not an option.. :S

I know it can use the HD because I choose it etc during the Ubuntu Installation. I've set the HD jumper as Master as well.

The server should be compatible with this OS yeah?

/Jonesy
TTr
Honored Contributor

Officially the server runs SCO, Red Hat and United.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11450_na/11450_na.html

> when I boot up the server it tells me its setup to run Windows 2000/2003...?
Where does it say that? Is it coming from the BIOS or is there a old windows partition on the hard disk and it is booting from that? Did you format the hard disk before installing Ubuntu?