4842 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370 G3 error

SOLVED
Go to solution
ikm

Proliant ML370 G3 error

i am new to proliant server this is the first time i have to configure the machine.

i tried to start the server wiht smartstart CD 6.20. when i tried to Lunch the setup it gives me the error

"primary controller atteched to your system does not have drives attached"

on the home page it gives me

"Boot controller disk size = 0 MB"

i am stuck here as i dont know what to do. anybody can help me with configuring the machine?. its quite urgent.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello IKM,
What you need to do is while server is coming up it will prompt you to hit F9. Once you hit F9 it will bring you go ROMBased setup utility. Just make sure that the BOOT CONTROLLER Order is set to where your system partition drives are attached. Once this is set then reboot the system with Smart Start CD and you should be able to configure your system without any problems.
Regards,
ikm

hi sunil,

thanks for your valuable advice. i treid to follow the steps you adviced.

i have tried all possible boot controller order. but its still giving me the same error.

i am having the boot controller order as

CTRL 1 PCI Slot 1 RAID Mass Storage Controller
CTRL 2 PCI embedded compaq integrated IDE Ctlr
CTRL 3 PCI Embeded Cmpq 64-bit dual wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter port 1
CTRL 4 PCI Embeded Cmpq 64-bit dual wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter port 2

During the boot sequence its detecting the HP Smart Array 641 Controller Logical Drive # 1

i hope this information will let you know the exact problem. pls reply me as sooon as possible.thanks.

ikm

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The reason you're having this problem is because the 641/642 controllers are not supported by Smart Start 6.2. This will require either booting off the 6.27 cd (which came with the controller) or use Smart Start 6.3. The only way you can do an assisted install, then it'll require Smart Start 6.3.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
ikm

hi

Thanks again for such a quick response from the people on this forum.

If smartstart 6.2 version does not support the controller. how to obtain the smartstart 6.3 version. it was not shipped with the server.

thanks again

ikm
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

You can get the latest version (currently 6.3) from 800-573-1099 or http://hp.productorder.com/smartstart/
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Of course you could always install the machine the old fashioned way (a manual install done by creating a driver floppy and specifying this driver during the install).
ikm

hi terry,

where to get the driver of the controller, which website? i feel very disappointed because we bought this server appx 15 days before. then why we did not recieve the latest version of the smartstart from our vendor (local distributor of compaq)?

i hope you are telling me to do the installation manually and specify the driver during the installation.i can try this if you can give me the website of the driver.

thanks a lot.

IKM
ikm

hi terry,

where to get the driver of the controller, which website? i feel very disappointed because we bought this server appx 15 days before. then why we did not recieve the latest version of the smartstart from our vendor (local distributor of compaq)?

i hope you are telling me to do the installation manually and specify the driver during the installation.i can try this if you can give me the website of the driver.

thanks a lot.

IKM
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello IKM,
I am sorry that you have to go through the inconvenience in installing the server. Please contact the Reseller you bought the server from and he/she should be able to get you the latest Smart Start CD. In the meantime, I have posted the link to downolad the driver for the array controller.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17144.html

Regards,