ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752301 Members
4548 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370 G3 fan problem

Joel Spaans

Proliant ML370 G3 fan problem

Over the weekend one of our servers shutdown to prevent overheat after one of the processor fans went out. I discovered it Monday morning when arriving for work. Figured it was just a bad fan so went ahead and ordered one. Well I plugged the new fan in and still no dice.

I noticed that if I plug-in only three of the processor fans, the lights will be green on all three and those three fans function normal. Whenever I plug the 4th CPU fan in, that one always lights up amber and won't run. Basically, which ever CPU fan is plugged in last is the one that will not turn on it seems. I tried re-seating connections on the fan controller card, all of the fans themselves, etc. but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joel
8 REPLIES 8
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

It is possible the server has a weak power supply. Do you have a spare to test with?
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
cnb
Honored Contributor

Any messages in the iLO log file when the last fan is plugged in?

Rgds,
Joel Spaans

John,

The Server has redundant power supplies and they seem to be working fine.

crn,

I'll be sure to check that.

Thanks for your help guys.
Stefan_Lessmann
Occasional Visitor

Hi Joel,

nearly the same Problem with my ML370 G3 since yesterday, fan-slot 1+3 do not work, sometimes fan 2 also, no matter, in wich combination I put the fans in.

It doesn't matter, which of the 2 power supplys is online.

Do you have a solution?

Stefan

Stefan_Lessmann
Occasional Visitor

OK, I found another thread in this forum, which tells me to remove fan 2,4,6 (the redundant fans) an leave only 1,3,5. These 3 fans alone work fine and there are no errors at bootup.

Stefan
gmandemery
Occasional Visitor

Hi Joel,
Have you tried Stefan's suggestion. I have the exact issue you described. It is driving me nuts. I have 25 other servers and none of them behave this way.
All six fans should work all the time like they do on my other servers.
gmandemery
Occasional Visitor

Hi All, 

This may be the answer we are looking for.  See the following link.  It explains a lot about this issue. see the link below.  This link applies specifically to the DL380 G3, but I think it applies here as well.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01214814&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=316529&prodTypeId=15351

YanivYon

Hi

the  Link is down and i have the same Problem

can anyone help me?