ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752777 Members
6740 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML370 G3 unexected restarts

Igors_1

Proliant ML370 G3 unexected restarts

I'm running 2 Proliant ML370 G3 servers. The problem is the following - every once in a while one of the servers unexpectedly restarts without posting anything in the Event log, except for "Unexpected restart".

What has been done to solve this problem - changed motherboard (didn't help), power supply (didn't help), RAM (didn't help)

Did anybody had this problem and how it has been solved?
7 REPLIES 7
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML370 G3 unexected restarts

Check the system management log; there might be some useful info.

Could it be that there are power problems ? Are the systems connected to a UPS ?
Pedro Reis

I having the same problem, i updated de drivers, bios, W2K SP`s, and nothing. On this server is as a APC 1000VA smart ups.
Igors_1

I think, I've found the problem:
There was a "blue screen" event in the management log, I suspect that because of perflib generating huge amount of errors, there was a buffer overflow (was described here somewhere, which lead to restart).

I've disabled the counters, and so far it seemes to be allright, but no guarantees.
Ciprian Rotaru

I have the same problem too.
I am running 2 Proliant ML 370 G3 servers both connected to an APC 2200 smart UPS, in the followin configuration :
hardware :
1server : 1 processor Inter Xeon 2,4
2 hdd 36,4 GB ultra 3 10k (mirroring)
1GB DDRAM
2nd server: 2 processors Xeon 2,4
one external scsi controller PCI
4 hdd 36,4 RAID 5
2 hdd 36,4 RAID 1
tape storage 20/40GB DDS4
2 GB DDRAM
software : both running windows 2000 server
The server doing unexpected restarts is the biprocessor configuration.
Jay Leinart

Are you getting a STOP 0x44 bugcheck in the IML? If so, check the version of

HP ProLiant Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows 2000 (http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17743.html)

or

HP ProLiant iLO Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows 2000 (http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17742.html)

Didier Wiroth
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
How much power supplies do you have in your servers?
I'm asking, because we had the same problem. We have more or less the same config but we had only 1 power supply! We needed to add a 2 power supply, after that we had no unexpected reboots.
Didier Wiroth
Occasional Contributor

To be more precise, here is some more info:

We had our dual-cpu ml370 g3 doing unexpected reboots. No error logging was shown in the compaq web agents. The only thing that was logged was in the win2k event viewer, unexpected shutdown or reboot... I can't remember the exact message.

We had only one power supply, for 6 hd, 2cpu, 1 ait, etc. We changed the cpu's, the ram etc.. nothing changed, still reboots and still no error messages in compaq web agents. The key was to add a second power supply. After that, we started to get "power supply not redundant anymore" messages in the compaq agents. The 1st power supply was actually buggy!

Now we have changed the buggy power supplied and kept the second power supply as we were still suspicious that one supply was definitely not enough. Have a second supply is even better because of the redundancy.
Since that day we didn't have any reboots.