ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752647 Members
5576 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370 G4 - possible to upgrade CPUs> VT?

SOLVED
Go to solution
yikes

Proliant ML370 G4 - possible to upgrade CPUs> VT?

Hi, we've got a Proliant ML370 G4 tower with 2 3.2GHz Xeon processors; they're the 800MHz ones that came with the unit (2nd was an upgrade at time of purchase) and don't have VT hardware virtualization support.

I'm wondering if there's an upgrade path -- can I purchase processors that will work in our ML370G4 that do support VT? Is there an updated BIOS for the server that will allow this feature to be supported and/or turned on and off?

We bought the server 3 years ago and it's been absolutely great, and I'd love to be able to run it as a VM host, but not without VT.

Thanks for your time.
3 REPLIES 3
yikes

I noticed that the Xeon 7130M has very similar specs -- socket 604, 3.2GHz/800MHz FSB -- but does support VT. Anyone know if this processor specifically would work in our ML370 G4? And again, would the ML370 G4 mobo & bios be able to handle VT, even if this processor would work?
Marshall Penn
Advisor
Solution

The 7130M has a different motherboard, your G4 wont support VT unless you upgrade the board and processors together.

We use DL385 G1's - they run 64 bit VMs under ESXi 4.0 no problem, as long as they dont have the earliest opterons for that chipset.

yikes

Thanks, looking at prices we'll probably just seek a new entry-level box with a VT-capable processor -- ends up cheaper than a new mobo & CPU(s).

Thanks for your help.