1752579 Members
4037 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML370 Raid configuration question

Tom White_7
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML370 Raid configuration question

I have an ML370 that we are using the embedded SCSI controller instead of buying the Smart Array Controller. Smart Start doesn't find any valid array controllers when the ACU is launched. If ACU only works with the smart array cards, how do I configure a Raid 1+0 for a Win Server 2003 install?
3 REPLIES 3
David Lochhead
Frequent Advisor

Re: Proliant ML370 Raid configuration question

RAID 0+1 requires either an array controller or as a much less desirable option a software RAID implementation which would be done in Win2K3 once installed

From Tom's

"First of all you have to install the mass storage controller(s) and hard drives you want to use. After that, launch the Windows 2000 Management Console (simply run "compmgmt.msc /s") and open the Disk Management Folder inside the Storage category.

The lower frame at the right displays all drives and their partitions. Before you can create a stripeset you have to remove all partitions on the drives that you want to use (right-click the partition to get the options menu). Now you have to convert those drives into dynamic drives. Right-click the field left to the partition area and select "Convert To Dynamic Drive".

After restarting the system (required), you can right-click on the partition area of any drive you want in order to create a new partition. The Wizard allows you to create simple partitions as well as span or stripe the drives. Next, specify the sector size and disk label, have it automatically formatted, and you are ready to go. "

Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Tom,

I would advice against using OS RAID functionality (even when it's so easy to use as in W2K3). You will be better of buying a real Smart Array controller, not only for the throughput but also for it's recovery features.

You have a SA-641 U320 controller for not that high amount of money.

PS: I'm not working for HP :-)
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Tom White_7
Occasional Contributor

We took the advice, and it was really rather simple once I got into it. Converted the OS drive to a dynamic drive and then mirrored it with the other unallocated volume. Works fin, and because this is just a utility print server, will do just fine and we saved the cost of a smart array controller!

Thanks all!