7492 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370 memory bank configuration question

kusobus
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML370 memory bank configuration question

hi,

i have a proliant ML370 (tower) that has 6 slots for memory. i would like to add another gig of memory (going from 3 to 4g) but when i do on boot up i get the following:

207 - Invalid Memory Configuration - Incomplete Bank detected in bank C.

the current memory config is as follows:

when standing upright, the bottom two slots have 512 MB chips in them. the next two slots (3 & 4 from the bottom) each have 1 gig chips in them. when i add another 1 gig chip to the fifth slot from the bottom, i get the error message from above on boot. the system then halts.

i checked the menual for the ML370 but it only reflects 4 memory slots total so i'm not sure where i need to add this fifth memory chip so the system recognizes it correctly.

any tips woould be great.

tia,
dave
5 REPLIES 5
Mynor Aguilar
Valued Contributor

Hello,
What's the generation of your ML370?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

only the ML370 G2 and the G3 have 6 memory slots, I assume you have G3(if you have standard 512 in slot 1&2), but it doesn't matter again.
Memory modules have to be installed in pairs, 2 at a time, so you can have only even number of DIMMs in the server.
If you want to add 1 GB, you have to put 2x512 MB in slots 5&6, or since you already have 1Gb to find another one and it will work.

Summary : Memory modules have to be either in slot 1&2 or in slots 1,2,3,4 or in 1,2,3,4,5,6. These are the guidelines, it will never power up with odd number of DIMMs.

Pac
kusobus
Occasional Contributor

hi,

sorry for my ignorance but how do i find the "generation" of my 370?

-dave
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Look in the box for G2, G3, G4 or G5, or for the label with serial/product and search the product in Google.
But, as stated above, all models since G2 need paired DIMMs, you can have 4 or 6 DIMMs, but not 5.
kusobus
Occasional Contributor

hi All,

this answers my question! i need another DIMM, aarrgg.

thanks to everyone for your quick responses!

-dave