7147 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370

Robert J.
Occasional Contributor

Proliant ML370

Hello, I have a few questions about our company's Proliant ML370 Server:

1. In Compaq Insight Mgr. it says "failed status". What does this mean? Is this something we should be concerned about and if so, how would I find out what is causing this message?

2. Is it critcal to keep up with bios and array updates on this particular server?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Bob,
You can always run diagnostics on the server to find out as to what is failing. Usually within Compaq Insight Mgr you can find a detailed information about the failing component.
Secondly, it's always wise to keep the bios of the system and the firmware version of array controller uptodate since they also get rid of lots of error messages.

Regards,
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

What version of the ML370 is this? Is it the original? What version of Insight Manager is this? Is the server running fine? If you go to the server and view the event viewer logs, as well as the integrated management log, are there any errors?

Even if the drivers and firmware were out of date, this would not normally cause the server to show up as failed.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Robert J.
Occasional Contributor

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I haven't been back at the site with this server for awhile.

The server is a Proliant ML370-G2. It is running CIM version 5.30. Nothing jumps out at me from the Event Viewer.

In the Integrated Management log there are 3 entries within the last month that say "ASR Detected by System ROM". They are listed as Critcal errors.

The server occasionally takes CPU Utilization to 100% and it will stay there. Services don't shut down and we have to cold boot it. After that the server has trouble restarting. It hangs while going through the Windows startup screen. Putting /SOS in the boot.ini usually gets it going again, sometimes after a few automatic reboots.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The "ASR detected by system rom" will definitely change the status of the server within Insight Manager. The ASR will cause the server to reboot if, for instance, the machine were to lock up.

Have you done any performance monitoring to determine what's causing the processor to peg out at 100%?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Robert J.
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I did do some performance monitoring for CPU Utilization. Since I set it up about 2 weeks ago it has happened once and it was around the time that they were using a Remote Modem service that is running on the server. However, they claim that this problem has happened even when they haven't been using that service.

The process that sends the CPU to 100% is svchost.exe which is run for a few different services, so it is really hard to pinpoint.