1751742 Members
5692 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML370G1 fan noise

Giuliano_8
Advisor

Proliant ML370G1 fan noise

I installed the HP Advanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows 2003 and my fan noise in 50% less but i can't seem to control it, is it possible to control the fan speed?

i have a Proliant ML370G1 866mhz model
13 REPLIES 13
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

Fan speed is not controllable. The driver will only go up or down based on the temperature sensors in the server
chuyongho
Advisor

hi
It's really fan problem(hardware problem).
I suggest to change fan ( cpu fan and i/o fan)
fan speed is controlled system management driver and system bios.
but fan noise is different problem.
JP Steeghs
Occasional Advisor

Hi Giuliano,
Sorry for the delay, I had to check some alternatives for you, before replying.
So, in answer to your question here, and your reply to my thread 'on noisy Proliant fans', here they are:

I. The first alternative is as I described in an earlier forum-thread. This one has a setup of two fans:
(A) is a new small, low-noise, processor-fan directly attached to the heatsink of the processor; these fans usually come with a 3-pin connector:
A1: yellow (moderating signal)
A2: red (power DC +)
A3: black (ground, power DC -)
(B) is the original Proliant fan for the plug-in card section, with 3-pin wiring:
B1: white (moderating signal)
B2: red (power, DC +)
B3: black (ground, DC -)
There are two 5-pin connectors on the mainboard, (C) for CPU-fan & (D) for cards-fan, from top to bottom:
C1: white (signals the notorious '1611 fan failure')
C2: empty/not connected
C3: red (power, DC +)
C4: black, connected to C5 (double ground, signals the presence of the fan)
C5: black (ground, DC -)
and
D1: black (ground, DC -)
D2: black, connected to D1 (double ground, signals the presence of the fan)
D3: red (power, DC +)
D4: empty/not connected
D5: white (signals the notorious '1611 fan failure')
OK, now connect: A2-C3, A3-C5, C4-C5, B1-D5, B2-D3, B3-D1, D2-D1 and C1-D5. Both fans will work, without any error messages.

II. Scenario two has two original Proliant fans, but now the card fan (B) is disconnected, so you only have the noise of the CPU fan (A), which you may regulate then with the HP management tools. (A) in this example has the same 3-pin wiring as (B) in the first example. The (B) from the first example is not connected at all.
In this scenario, connect: A1-C1, A2-C3, A3-C5, C4-C5, D1-D2, D5-C1. It works with me, one working CPU-fan, a disconnected cards-fan, and no error messages ...

III. Scenario three is the one I'm using myself now; since I don't really need the fan for the plug-in card compartment (they don't overheat that easily), I disabled it and replaced the CPU-fan with a silent one. So this setup has only one fan (A): a new, low noise, CPU-fan directly attached to the heatsink of the processor (with 3-pin wiring as in (A) in the first example), and no card fan.
In this scenario, connect: A1-C1, A2-C3, A3-C5, C4-C5, D1-D2, D1-A1, D5-A1.
So, basically you have DC connected, plus the double ground on both mainboard connectors, _and_ the A1-C1-D5-D1 connection. The D1 may seem strange here, but somehow this fan failure thing has something to do with the grounding of the fan-on-heatsink, I found out. Anyway, it works fine with me: appropriate and low-noise cooling of the CPU, and no error messages.
Hope this helps you out a little ...
Bye, and good luck, JP
Giuliano_8
Advisor

Dear JP, Scenario three sounds great to me, can you please give me soms more details on how to connect my ONE 80mm fan to the mainboard

excuses me but i am not that technical hehe...

Giuliano
Giuliano_8
Advisor

i think i have it up and running, i connected the 3rd option you mentioned, and it seems to work, wow it's so quiet now!!! thx

Giuliano
Giuliano_8
Advisor

hey JP, can you help me again my another type of ML370G2 ?

greetings
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Please be aware that modifications such as described above will void any warranty and may severely decrease the operating life of the unit.
JP Steeghs
Occasional Advisor

Hi Giuliano,
Sorry for the delay, just cleaned up my desk and recovered my user-id & password :)
Can't help you with the wiring of the G2; since I never saw one from the inside, I don't know how it looks like. If you can describe to me how the wiring of the fans to the mainboard is, I might give it a shot ...
And David, I don't believe these older models have any warranty anyway, so no need to get high and mighty, we're just trying to help out one another in a very practical way. Besides, I have my 370-G1 up and running in the above configuration as a webserver for many months now, and no problem there ...
Bye, JP
Giuliano_8
Advisor

i don't know exactly how it's wiring are, the type of system board seemd more intellegent, it uses 3 hotswap fans, one for the pci cards and 2 for it's microprocessors... i will see if i can send you a picture or layout of the mainboard...