108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant ML380p and Noisy Fans

SOLVED
Go to solution
osarusan
Visitor

Proliant ML380p and Noisy Fans

Hello, I'm having a problem with an ML380p I just bought refurbished (so it's not covered under HP warranty or anything like that, but I was hoping someone here could help me anyway).

I've read through the forums that a lot of people had problems with fans spinning at 100% even in cool conditions with low server load.

I'm having that same problem with my server. I've read through the forums and tried every solution I've found. I've upgraded the firmware. I've tried disabling iLO since people said it can be caused by iLO. I've made sure the BIOS settings is set to optimal cooling, which was the official solution to this problem in the help base. However, even with all of that done, all of my fans spin at max speed and are deafeningly loud.

I'm not getting any error messages at all, and I'm at wit's end. I've searched all over Google but I just can't find any solution other than the ones I've tried to no luck. Is there anyone else who has solved this problem by another means than the ones I've already listed and tried?

5 REPLIES 5
BPSingh
HPE Pro
Solution

I understand that your post is for DL380p Gen8 server model.

Please check the below points.

-> Please ensure there is no 3rd party PCIe card or hard drives installed in the server.

-> Please ensure "System Inlet Temperature" is as per the specifications mentioned on page# 66

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123238

-> Please refer fan population guideleines, page# 20

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03231416-13.pdf

-> Verify that all air baffles and required blanks, such as drive blanks, processor heatsink blanks, power supply blanks, etc., are installed. to ensure proper air flow within server.

-> If issue persists, please clear NVRAM from System maintenance switch. Page#14 -15 to identify the switch on the system board

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03231416-13.pdf

1. Shut down the server and disconnect all the power supplies.
2. Move the switchS1,S5 and S6 (of system maintenance switch) to the other side.
3. Power on the server and check for the message that the NVRAM has been cleared
4. Shut down the server and move S1,S5 and S6 S6 to the original position.
5. Power on the server.

Safety notes: Please take all ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) safety precautions when performing any internal intervention on your server. When the server boots after NVRAM is cleared, a delay of up to 2 minutes is normal. During this delay, the system appears non-functional. Do not attempt any procedures during the delay.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
osarusan
Visitor

Thank you for the reply.

Clearing the NVRAM did not work, and the temperature has remained quite cool (under 20 degrees C).

However, I did find a 3rd party hard drive installed. I removed it, and the fans slowed down shortly after. It's been almost 24h since then, and they have remained at a very reasonable noise/speed level since then. So it was almost certainly that hard drive causing the issue.

So is the conclusion that only official HP drives can be used with these servers??

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Update ILO to 2.70 and check the ILO diagnostics page for health status.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

I am glad that the issue has been isolated. 

HPE drives will have the required firmware embedded on them for better compatibility.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
osarusan
Visitor

Thank you for your help!

For future reference, in case anyone else has this issue, I found a website which lists drives affected by this: http://dascomputerconsultants.com/HPCompaqServerDrives.htm

The drive that was installed in my machine was among the ones listed as having the issue, so that confirms that it was definitely an issue with hard drive compatibility.