ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752579 Members
2949 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML530 Array Configuration

Robert Wooders

Proliant ML530 Array Configuration

Setup: Windows 2000 Server, Compaq Proliant ML530, Smart Array 5300 Controller, 4 36Gb Drivers, W2K SP4, RAID5.

Problem: We recently added a new drive to the system (or at least our 3rd party support did!!). We have upgraded the system to SP4, but this caused some problems with th system blue screening, and this was down to the Firmware on the Array Controller.

To cut a long story short, the Firware was upgraded, and SP4 installed all working ok... except that the array controller will not add the new drive to the existing logical drive 'Disk 0'. It adds the drive in as 'Disk 1' and in windows disk manager we now have 2 Disks 0 & 1. Not what was intended. (See attached screen shot)

Our third party support blames this on the firmware upgrade.

Has anybody else come across this problem, and does anybody know how to remove the two new drives as 'DISK 1' and add them to the current Array as free space on 'DISK 0'?

Any help would be much appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML530 Array Configuration

Hello Robert,
I empathise with your situation. For your information upgrading firmware on the controller does not tentamount to changing the configuration of Raid array at all. I have never seen this in my computing career. Once the array has been rebuild and a separate logical drive has been created the only recourse to fix this is to make a full backup and rebuild your array. Ofcourse restore from the backup thereafter. Sorry for the bad news. Absolutely firmware upgrade would not do as to what happened to your array.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Robert,
One question, do you have any data on the second logical drive?? If not then you can delete it and then try readding the available drives to your existing array. Please let me know as to how you make out. Before you attempt this make sure you have a full backup.

Regards,
Robert Wooders

Thanks for the advise.

Logical Drive 2(Disk 1) has no data on it, so we should be able to highlight it in Compaq Array Config Utility and then selct 'Drive' > 'Delete Logical Drive'. This should leave us with free space?? How do we go about adding this free space to the Logical Drive 1?? I would assume it is by Selecting 'Extend Logical Drive' from the 'Drive' Menu, am I correct in thinking this??

I have just been speaking to our third party support guys and they seem to think that they will not be able to extend 'Logical Drive 1' unless it is set to be a 'Dynamic Disk' under Windows, is this correct?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Robert,
Yes you're correct about recreating your array. However, I am enclosing a document which will help you to accomplish what you want to achieve. About the Dynamic Disk I shall find out for sure and let you know.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Robert,
This is what I found out.

Microsoft Windows 2000 may no longer recognize a logical drive if a drive extension is performed using the Array Configuration Utility for Windows 2000 Version 2.90.65.0 (or earlier). Based on this I do not know as to which version of Array configuration you're running.

RESOLUTION
To correct this problem, upgrade the hp ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows to Version 6.0.5.0 (or later) and upgrade the array controller firmware to the appropriate version listed below. The upgraded firmware on these Smart Array Controllers has been modified to fully support the logical drive extension feature when using the hp ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows Version 6.0.5.0 (or later).

ACU Version 6.0.5.0 is available for download as Smart Component CP002597 at the following URL:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15700.html

IMPORTANT: When performing a logical drive extension, ensure that all of the following conditions are met:

The hp ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows Version 6.0.5.0 (or later) must be used.
The Smart Array Controller must be flashed to the latest version of the Option ROM.
Service Pack 3 (or later) must be applied to Windows 2000.
The following array controllers and ROM revisions fully support extending a logical drive:

Smart Array 5300 - Firmware Revision 2.86 (or later)
Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array 5300 Version 2.92 (CP002980) http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16507.html
Smart Array 5302 - Firmware Revision 2.86 (or later)
Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array 5300 Version 2.92 (CP002980) http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16507.html
Smart Array 5304 - Firmware Revision 2.86 (or later)
Smart Array 5312 - Firmware Revision 2.04 (or later)
Options ROMPaq for Smart Array 5312 Controllers - Firmware Version 2.36 (SP19684) http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/16945.html
Smart Array 532 - Firmware Revision 2.04 (or later)
Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array 5i and SA-532 Version 2.38 (CP003156) http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17016.html
Smart Array 5i - Firmware Revision 2.04 (or later)
Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Smart Array 5i and SA-532 Version 2.38 (CP003156) http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17016.html
Smart Array Cluster Storage Controller - Firmware Revision 1.66 (or later)
Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Compaq Smart Array Cluster Storage Controller Version 1.66 (CP002863) http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/16337.html
MSA1000 Controller - Firmware Revision 2.26 (or later)
MSA1000 Firmware Upgrade Version 2.38 http://h18007.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/softwaredrivers/msa1000/v238.html
IMPORTANT: Previous versions of the ACU should NOT be used to perform a drive extension on any server running Windows 2000 if the logical drive contains dynamic disks. However, if the logical drive is using physical drives that have only been used in the current configuration and no other configuration, extension will work properly when using Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (or later). Also, if the logical drive contains only basic disks, extension will work properly.

IMPORTANT: Versions of firmware prior to those listed above, should NOT be used to perform a drive extension on any server running Windows 2000 if this logical drive contains dynamic disks. However, if the logical drive is using physical drives that have only been used in the current configuration and no other configuration, extension will work properly when using Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (or later). Also, if this logical drive contains only basic disks, extension will work properly.

The following three scenarios detail the warning messages presented when using ACU Version 6.0.5.0 to perform a drive extension under W2K:

The following warning message is presented when an attempt is made to perform a logical drive extension and a firmware upgrade is NOT available for the array controller that provides full support for the feature:

Warning!

Extension may not be supported on Windows 2000 with the current array controller.

If the operating system for this logical drive is Windows 2000 and this logical drive contains dynamic disks, Windows 2000 may not be able to recognize the logical drive after extension and prevent you from accessing your data. However, if this logical drive is using physical drives that have only been used in the current configuration and no other configuration, extension will work properly if you are using Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or later.

If the operating system for this logical drive is Windows 2000 and this logical drive contains only basic disks, extension will work properly.
Scenario 2: The following warning message is presented when an attempt is made to perform a logical drive extension and the array controller has firmware that fully supports the feature; however, Windows 2000 does not have Service Pack 3 (or later) installed:

Warning!

Extension is not currently supported under Linux.

Extension may not be supported on Windows 2000 unless Service Pack 3 is installed.

If the operating system for this logical drive is Windows 2000 and this logical drive contains dynamic disks, Windows 2000 may not be able to recognize the logical drive after extension and prevent you from accessing your data. However, extension will work properly with dynamic disks if you are using Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or later.

If the operating system for this logical drive is Windows 2000 and this logical drive contains only basic disks, extension will work properly.

Click OK to continue. Otherwise, click Cancel to exit this task.

Scenario 3: The following warning message is presented when an attempt is made to perform a logical drive extension and the array controller does not have firmware installed that fully supports the feature; however, a firmware upgrade is available that provides this support:

Warning!

Extension is not currently supported under Linux.

Extension may not be supported on Windows 2000 unless Service Pack 3 is installed and you upgrade your array controller firmware.

If the operating system for this logical drive is Windows 2000 and this logical drive contains dynamic disks, Windows 2000 may not be able to recognize the logical drive after extension and prevent you from accessing your data. However, extension will work properly with dynamic disks if you are using Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or later and you upgrade your array controller firmware to version <0fwversion> or later.

Click OK to continue. Otherwise, click Cancel to exit this task.

The following warning message is presented when an attempt is made to perform a logical drive extension using the Compaq Array Configuration Utility for Windows 2000 Version 2.90.65.0:

You have requested to perform extension on this logical drive. Extension is not currently supported on Windows 2000. If the operating system for this logical drive is Windows 2000, please do not attempt to use this feature, as data-loss could occur. Are you sure you want to continue?

Answering "Yes" to the above question may risk the possibility of data corruption
under W2K.

I hope this clears your dilema.

Regards,

Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Robert,

I've done the process that Sunil details and it worked fine for me. No dynamic disks are needed for Windows to see the new disk space. However, all you're doing is increasing the size of the disk that Windows sees, not increasing the allocated partion on it. To do that, get Microsoft's DISKPART utility. It can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/diskpart-o.asp

The instructions for it are at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2Fdirectory%2Fworldwide%2Fen-gb%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fscid%3Dkb%3Ben-gb%3B300415%26ln%3Den-gb

Basically, what you want to do is run diskpart, execute "list disk", execute "select disk x" where x is the appropriate disk from list disk, and then execute "extend".

I did notice that there's a note under "extend" that indicates that it may prevent you from extending the boot or system disk, so if you only have one disk, you may have a problem and have to convert to dynamic.

Good luck!
Seth