3698 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML530 G1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Robinson

Proliant ML530 G1

I am new to these types of servers and I'm just trying to re-load Windows 2000 server on it. I used smartstart 7.6 to setup the array, but was unable to load the OS. I took the smartstart cd out and inserted the W2k disc and all the files loaded, but when the system rebooted, I get a 'non-system disc, replace and strike any key when ready' message. I'm not really sure what steps I need to take to get this thing going. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Michael Richter
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Please use at least Smart Start 5.5 to be sure the needed Array Driver are loaded.
You'll find the Smart Start 5.5 on HP Web Site.

Cheers
Mike
Jason Robinson

I downloaded smartstart 5.5, but was unable to get the server to boot from the cd. I downloaded a driver for the sa-4200 controller(which is what I have) and tried to hit F6 and install the driver since I am able to boot from the windows 2000 server cd. I still get a 'non-system disc error.' I'm not doing something right. Thanks,

Jason
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If the SmartStart CD failed to boot, but a W2K CD did, that sounds as though your 5.5 CD might be faulty.

How did you create the CD ?

Cheers,

Rob
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jason,

Try using the system configuration utility (SCU) diskettes (You will need 4 blank disks). Download the kit from here.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

I don't believe that the downloadable V5.50 CD image is bootable as Compaq had to pay a license fee to Microsoft for the Windows 98 front end on the original Smartstart CD's. Later Smartstart CD's use a free Linux front end.

You need to set the Smart Array 4200 to be the first boot device and it probably isn't. Use the diskettes to go into the SCU and select View/Edit details. Go down to the SA4200 and change its boot order to FIRST, save the changes and exit. If the O/S has been loaded onto the SA4200 disks succesfully it may now boot OK. As the ML530 is a generation 1 system you can't use any version of Smartstart above V5.50 (The last G1 support disk)to install the O/S but I know you have done it manually now using the W2K CD. You may only need to set the boot order correctly to get it to boot.

As Proliants have specific Compaq/HP drivers it is important to install the Compaq/HP driver kits (Called the Proliant Support Pack or PSP) if the O/S has been installed manually. This will sort any missing drivers in device manager.

Although once booted you could access the PSP from the Smartstart 5.50 CD you created, it may be better just to load the latest version available rather than update twice. You can download the Windows 2000 PSP V7.60 from here.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24183.html

If you need any BIOS, Adapter firmware for the SA4200 or any other driver updates you can download them from here.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1117.html

I hope this helps.

Brian
Jason Robinson

I hate being such a pain, but I created the 4 diskettes and was still getting the 'non-system disk' error. I used the smartstart 7.6 system erase utility to wipe everything and start over. What should I do if I can't get the diskettes to work? The only things I have been able to boot from is the smartstart 7.6 disc I created and the W2k server disc. I'm completely lost. Thanks,

Jason
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jason,

Check the system board switches with the attached document. Normally only switch 3 would be on if it's a rackmount server - all others off. Switch 3 would also be off if its a Tower system.

Try placing switch 4 in the on position to ensure that the floppy disk is always enabled for boot, regardless of the SCU settings.

Of course it may be simpler than that. Maybe the heads on the floppy disk drive are dirty and need cleaned.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Jason,

As you have used Smartstart initially, I would suggest you to update your firware again.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Jason,

You might have tried this; if not, if you have bootable CD, boot from that CD and make sure your hard disk is fine by running FDisk. and make sure to change the boot sequence also (from any of the correct disk partitioned for windows)

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Jason Robinson

I still have not been able to get this server going. I was able to get into the SCU and I made sure the controller was set to first...I upgraded the BIOS and pressed F6 during the OS installation to load controller drivers, but now when I get to the blue screen where it says 'Setup is starting Windows 2000' it hangs up and doesn't do anything else. In the SCU I set the OS to 'other' because I didn't see W2k in the list. I'm not sure if this is causing the problem or not. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Jason