ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752564 Members
4848 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML530 G2 & Smart 532 Array Controller

John McAlinden

Proliant ML530 G2 & Smart 532 Array Controller

I currently have the Smart 532 attached to the left hand drive cage and onboard SCSI channel B attached to the right hand drive cage. I'd like to connect both drive cages to the Smart 532 - does this require an additional cable option kit and, if so, what is the part number ?

Many Thanks
John McAlinden
7 REPLIES 7
Imad
Advisor

Re: Proliant ML530 G2 & Smart 532 Array Controller

You can use the same cable that you are using for the integrated SCSI cable, as long as it is U3 / U320 SCSI cable. Just unplug it from the SCSI B port and plug it to the array controller.
Then as you know you will need to configure an array using the Array Configuration Utility and any data on those Hard drives will be lost.
In case you do not have the right cable then this is the option part # for the U3 /U320 cable. 166390-B21.
John McAlinden

Imad

Thanks for your response.

The cable currently attached to SCSI channel B only has 1 connector at each end so I can't use it to connect both drive cages to the controller. Do I not need a cable with 3 connectors ? I searched HP's part store for the part # you specified but its listed as 'Part no longer supplied'.

John McAlinden
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello John,
Please try the following Cable Kit:

ML530G2 Cable Kit - P/N 249146-001
This kit contains the following:

SCSI data cable (blue) assy
SCSI DATA cable (yellow) assy
Internal-to-external SCSI cable (12 inch) assy
PCI to system board data cable assy
Power backplane cable assy
Front panel LED assembly with cable assy
Backplane to system board cable assy

Regards,
Imad
Advisor

John,

Each cage has to have it's own SCSI cable attached to it. In other words, each cage has to have a point to point cable attached to it from the SCSI port on the 532 Array controller.
Please have a look at the MSG, it has a diagram on how to cable the server.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/maintenance_guides/281405-004.pdf

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantML570/ML570G2-cabling-matrix.pdf

John McAlinden

Thanks Imad

Do you mean I have to use the external port on the Smart 532 to connect the other cage or is there an adapter available to split the single internal connector on the Smart 532 ?

Many Thanks

John McAlinden
Imad
Advisor

We can not use the external port to be used internally. SA532 controller has 2 channels, 1 internal and one external. I can only use one internally. So the internal connector will be connected to one SCSI cage. In order to use an array controller to the 2nd cage, I would need to use another Array Controller. Either another 532 controller, or another daul channel Array Controller, e.g 5300 or 6400 controllers.
With your current configuration you can use the array controller with only one of the cages, but not both, and we can not daisy chain the 2 cages.
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

hi john

hp does not offer a solution for your cabling problem.
--------------------------------------
officially there is NO solution. you are required to buy another smart controller
---------------------------------------
However !!!!!, if you have a spare pci slot, remove the cover metal from the slot and connect a scsi cable to the external 532 port (use the slot as a home-made cable pass-thru). this requires a cable with a vhdc (very high density connector) at one end and a standard 68-pin conector at the other end.
-----------------------------------------
this will work perfectly. the 532 has two channels. but especially in a raid 5 environment the 532 will not give you superior performance. it has a hw raid engine that can be compared to the performance of a 5i (which is also dual channel)
------------------------------------------
1) this solution is NOT supported by HP.
2) this solution works fine (cable quality!)
3) performance of a 532 is not optimal for more than 6 disks.

best regards
ernesto