108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML530 G2 and 3200 controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

Proliant ML530 G2 and 3200 controller

We have a ML530G2 server with a 3200 and 5300 controller. The 3200 is connected to a Modular Smart Array 500 (Generation 1) filled with 14 disks and attached via a vhdci cable. The 5300 controller is attached to the internal disk array. The 5300 sees all drives and I was able to create logical drives and install the OS. At post, the 3200 reports no drives attached and that no logical drives are present. I boot to Smart Start 7.3 and enter the Array Controller Utility and find the 5300 but not the 3200 controller. Is there a problem using 2 controllers? Is the 3200 not compatible with the Modular Smart Array 500 (Generation 1)?
Ask and you shall receive
3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Proliant ML530 G2 and 3200 controller

Hi Greg,

The SA3200 is pretty old and may not be supported as you suggest for the MSA500. It might work but it's much older SCSI technology and unsuited to the job. The firmware on it won't have a clue about MSA500's.

The Array Configuration Utility also shows the first controller it detects by default. In the dropdown box next to the SA5300 can you select another controller?

Why not try the following (If possible):-

Remove the cable from the SA3200 and move it to external channel 2 on the SA5300.
Keep the internal drives attached to the internal channel 1 of the SA5300. If any drives are attached to the internal channel 2, remove that cable for the moment.

See if that works OK.

Brian

GB Tek
Valued Contributor

I tried attaching the MSA500 to the 5300 with the internal drives still attached and at post the controller stated both external and internal drives could not be attached at the same time.
As for the 3200, I think I need to use something newer. But I find it strange that it posts but the Smart Start ACU can't even see the card.
Ask and you shall receive
e4services
Honored Contributor

My guess would be the SCSI IDs in use by each card MUST be different. Go into the BIOS setup for each card by installing them seperately at first. Make sure each card is setup to use different parameters, then add them both together.
Also, some cards share the external port with one of the internal ports, i.e. the standard 5300 is a 2 channel card, 2 channel model: 2 external/2 internal shared, so you need to make sure you are on different channels if you wish to connect internal and external to the same card.
Hot Swap Hard Drives