2994 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant ML530 RAID5 Expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Reich

Proliant ML530 RAID5 Expansion

I have a problem trying to expand a RAID5 array. Here is the equipment being used.
- Proliant ML350.
- Compaq LC2 Array Controller.
- Spare Compaq Smart 2DH Array Controller.
- Old 18GB Hot-swappable drives, qty 3.
- New 72GB Hot-swappable drives, qty 3.
- Windows NT4 (sp6)
- 3 Disk partitions (Compaq, drive C, drive D)
- NTFS

The older 18GB drives were swapped with the 72GB drives one at a time waiting for the array to resync each time. The server now has the 72GB drives in and functioning. I now want to use the rest of the drive space that is on the new drives. I've read that the LC2 controller is unable to expand the array without first destroying it.

Here are the ideas I have tried.

1) I read on the web that you should be able to create another logical drive in the array with the extra space on the new drives. I'm unable to do that with the LC2 controller, it tells me there are no drives to add to the array.

2) Tried installing the Smart 2DH drivers in Windows NT4 before replacing the LC2 with the Smart 2DH controller. The drivers did not install, saying that there is no Smart 2DH controller in the system.

3) Replaced the LC2 controller with the Smart 2DH anyway. The Smart 2DH recognizes the array. However Windows NT4 will not boot. It starts loading then blue screens and says there are no bootable drives. I'm assuming this is a driver problem.

4) Put the LC2 back in and everything works again. I then tried Symantec Ghost 7.5 to "Ghost" the server to a file on another machine so I could rebuild the array from scratch then put the Ghost image back on. Ghost 7.5 saw one large 36GB drive, I ghosted and it finished without errors. However using the Ghost explorer utility to examine the ghost image file, it shows the Compaq Partition, Drive C, and another partition with nothing in it. Symantec says that Ghost is not RAID5 aware. I did not proceed further.

My questions:
- Is there a way to either expand the array using the LC2 controller?
- Is there a way to install the Smart 2DH controller and have Windows NT4 recognize it properly and boot so that I can use the array configuration utility to expand the array?
- Is there a "Ghost" type of utility that will properly recognize the array and allow me to "Ghost" the server to a file on another machine, allowing me to rebuild the array and put the image back?

Please help!

Thanks,
Steve Reich
NetSmart, Inc.
7 REPLIES 7
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant ML530 RAID5 Expansion

Steven:

The answer I am going to give always make me cringe when I list it... so i am sure you will hate it too.

Make a full backup to tape of your server (making sure there are very few or no open files, etc...) Make sure this is a VERY good backup.

Then perform a disaster recovery of your server!

Wipe the logical volumes from the Array Configuration using the ACU and create new logicals that fit your need. Then restore your server from tape to the new "larger" volumes. The system will still have the original partitions restored but at least you will have the space you intended.

I said you would hate it... but...
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Steven Reich

Thank you for your reply. You're right, this is the answer I'm really hoping to avoid. It's the client's Exchange server and main file repository. The backup software doesn't have a "bare hardware" recovery option. This will force me to rebuild the server to hopefully restore everything, and hopefully it will work again.

Of all the technologies I've encountered, tape backup is the least reliable.

I'm really hoping someone has a less drastic option for me.

Thanks again,
Steve Reich
NetSmart, Inc.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hey Steve,

- expansion of an array is a feature which is completely dependent on the capability of the array controller being used. If the LC2 controller's firmware is not smart enough to handle dynamic growth, then you would be wasting the additional disk space that you thought you would gain by replacing the 18GB drives by 72GB. We have done similar tests and found that our HSG80 controller won't support it, however the Smart array 6400, 4200, 5300 would. OS Level logical drive extension is ofcourse upto the capability of the OS e.g. you can use Dynamic disk for extension of volumes or Diskpart to extend basic disks on Windows.

- Could you not install the drivers for S2DH controller while the system still boots off the LC2.Then shut down the host, on POST change the boot order to select S2DH instead of LC2 (OR rather disable LC2 in the BIOS) and load Windows.

- I have had similar issues with Ghost on Proliant DL380 G2 with 36.4GB SCSI drives. It would just do weird stuff as you mentioned. We then found an article from Symantec saying it does not support SCSI drives larger than 36GB or something along those lines. Since then we have used Power Quest Power Deploy Suite 2.01 to use as our imaging software on server class machines.It works like a treat!

Hope, this helps and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,
Steven Reich

Hi SAKET,

Since the LC2 controller doesn't recognize any of the additional disk space, Windows NT4 doesn't see any unused space either.

I did try to install the 2DH drivers while still using the LC2 and the install program would not install the drivers saying there is no 2DH controller in the system.

I like the idea of this PowerQuest Suite. I checked the PowerQuest web site (now Symantec) and I don't see the product. Where can I find this product?

The PowerQuest site has something called V2I Protector Server Edition that shows some promise.

Thanks,
Steve Reich
NetSmart, Inc.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Steve,

Are you saying in #1 that after the installation and restriping of the 73GB drives, you do not have the rest of the new space as "Free Space" in Disk Manager/Windows? You say "it tells me there are no drives to add to the array". Well there wouldn't be any new drives, just the same 3, they are just larger.
According to the manual, your procedure should have worked and you should now have free space available to create a new volume.

FYI: Documentation for the controller is at:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/documentation.html
An option to manipulate the OS logical drives is to use Volume Manager (Partition Magic for servers). We have a runtime version you can use at our site, one time use eval.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hey Steve,

Have you confirmed that S2DH is supported on your server and for NT4? Have you tried placing it in a different slot? Has this card ever worked on any server?

V2i is an excellent imaging tool from Power Quest too. However, I would find more info on Power Deploy suite that I mentioned to you and post it to ya tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Steven Reich

Hi e4Services.com,

Before replacing the drives the Compaq Array Diagnostic Utility ADU showed 3 physical 18GB drives and one logical 36GB drive (RAID5).

After replacing the drives the ADU now shows 3 physical 72GB drives and still only one 36GB logical drive (RAID5). It also tells me there is unused disk space.

If I run the Compaq Array Configuration Utility ACU to configure the unused space into another logical drive, it tells me that there are no array controllers in the system and it stops running. (Probably looking for a Smart Array controller).

Neither the NT4 Disk Administrator or Volume Manager 2.0 (already was on system) see the unused disk space.

I also tried running the LC2 BIOS configuration utility. It also sees the 3 - 72GB drives and one 36GB logical drive. When I tell it to create another logical drive it tells me there are drives to add. It doesn't see the unused space and allow me to configure another logical drive.

The LC2 is the real stumbling block here. I've done this before with Smart Array controller without any problems.

However I did manage to manually install the Smart Array 2DH drivers into NT4 (didn't use the setup utility). I now need to get some downtime to put in the 2DH controller and see if NT4 will recognize it.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Thanks for the help,
Steve Reich
NetSmart, Inc.