5297 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ML570T01US 1611 Auxiliary Power Supply Fan #3 Failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Rose_2

Proliant ML570T01US 1611 Auxiliary Power Supply Fan #3 Failure

I'm have a problem determining which fan is failed. The documentation makes no mention of the word "auxiliary". I've checked all three power supply fans (450w redundant 157793-001)and all lights green, all fans spinning. I've also quickly looked at the system and i/o cage fans, all look fine. I tried moving the power supplies between slots (all three moved to a different position) and it did not change the error.
Suggestions?

Am I correct in assuming the system sees a power supply fan problem even though it looks fine?
6 REPLIES 6
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

There is: one fan in each Power Supply, 3 fans lower in the Cage and Max 4 fans for CPU and I/O.

Slide I/O cage out and see insight
You can swap 1 with 3 at every location, Clear IML, clear NVRAM, Update BIOS - see if Problem still exists.

I would expect Power Supply fan going bad, backplane communication or cached error
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

If there is ever a fan failure in the power supply, it would be described as a power supply failure. If you get this error it's describing the fans behind the drive cages.

I would slide the I/O board out and look down in behind the drive cages, then verify which one is failed.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Paul Rose_2

Thanks Kov & Terry. I'll be going back onsite tomorrow (TUES) and will investigate that further.
Terry, what I find contradictory or confusing is why would it refer to an I/O drive cage fan failure as an auxillary power supply fan failure and not specify it as an I/O fan?
Paul Rose_2

Correcion to my previous reply, I meant drive cage fan not I/O fan.
Paul Rose_2

Sorry for the delay in responding. Terry you were right on the button. We went in early this morning and pulled the drive cage, the 3rd or lowest fan (p/n 161657-001 - 92mm Hot-Plug redundant drive fan) was the culprit, replaced and life is good again.

I find it odd the error code thrown up was listed as "Auxilary Power Supply Fan Failure" rather than a specific "drive fan failure" - it just made it confusing.

Cheers.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would definitely agree with it making things confusing.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..