4226 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant Memory Issues

Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

Proliant Memory Issues

Hi -

I have a Proliant DL580G2 that is reporting a memory issue with the double datarate memory board. It is reporting that the threshold has been exceeded and bank B should be replaced. In the past I have gotten errors that reported a specific module being the problem and we replace it. Never a whole bank. I've actually replace the memory board and all the memory in this server and still get the same error leading me to believe that the problem is with the motherboard. I've removed the cover so I can see any visual errors. If I have either of the memory boards in the system, I power it up and after it counts all the memory the lights go green on all modules. After about 5 seconds, module 2 goes yellow and then all the modules in bank B go yellow. This happens with both memory boards and different memory modules. Before I get a Compaq engineer on-site, is it possible that there is a "bug" with the system that just requires a patch maybe? I can't find anything in the knowledgebases relating to this but then again, it might be that my mind already left for the holidays. (grin) Everyone have a good holiday!

- Jim
4 REPLIES 4
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant Memory Issues

I would be inclined to think it was the M/B also (make sure you have the latest bios), if you have already replaced the chips and the memory board. Yes, get HP out while it still has warranty.
Outside of that, only a weak power supply comes to mind.

Take a look at this link and make sure your memory board is not the one shown:
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?countrycode=1000&prodid=2237&source=EL030605_CW01.xml&dt=3

If so, get it replaced!

G'luck!
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

Thanks for the reply and information John. In this case that link does not apply to this specific server (it's a 2003) the information in that link should prove helpful with other servers in our farm should we encounter any problems.

- jim
Syed Arbab Wadood

Dear Jim,

I had exact same problem in a Proliant ML530 G2. I had to replace motherboard. The server runs fine but it gives Amber light in the front panel and on the memory board as well but first slot of bank a remains green remaining others goes amber after 5 second of power up. Updating RomPaq didn't help. Fortunately we had same type of memory and memory board we go straight to Motherboard.
I hope this help.

Regards
Arbab
Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

Thank you for your feedback and information, I am getting the feeling that we will have to replace the motherboard as well. I was just hoping that maybe there was something else out there that I have overlooked. Have a good New Year.