ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753643 Members
5396 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Ml350 G5 rebooting at same time

Danny Bullock

Proliant Ml350 G5 rebooting at same time

As the subject says, our ML350 , on Monday thru Friday, at 8:34 AM plus or minus a minute or two, will buzz like a bug zapper, cause all Hp servers in the farm to go to battery backup for a split second, then reboot itself. I recently installed a redundant power supply to hopefully fix this, but it appears that it may have been fried by the servers behavior. Scheduled tasks are not an issue. Nothing in the event viewer other than "an unexpected shutdown has occurred" message. any Ideas?

Thanks

Dan Bullock
6 REPLIES 6
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Beautifull issue.. :)

1) Isnt't it joke from your admins?
2) Do you have another servers in the same place without issue?
3) virus?

Jan
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Is this on a UPS, possible issue there? Are there any power problems on that circuit at that time?
Danny Bullock

I have a rather smallish APC 900 ups that it is attached to. I've read somewhere that there may a problem with small units as this one is. I do have the same type of backup device on the other 3 servers and they work OK.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

could you try attach another UPS / move 1 server to another ups - to confirm this is the issue?

Jan
Danny Bullock

I have tried switching servers to different UPS's with no luck. I'm going to take the bad server off of the UPS today at 8:34 and plug it directly into the wall. Testing goes on. Will update
Glenn Hudgins
Advisor

I had a similar problem years ago that was also turning off my servers at night that was driving me crazy. There was nothing on the event logs but I did find what was happening with power surges and power drops by checking the Power Chute logs that were recording from my APC 1600 SmartUPS. We couldn't find the culprit in the building that was causing the problems so I contacted our power company and they were able to track down the problem to some of their power equipment on a pole near our building. Once it was replaced all the power problems stopped. My guess is there might be something either in your building or outside that is causing the same type of power surges. If you don't have logging on your UPS like Power Chute, check the APC site and see if the software will work with your APC 900 UPS.