108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Server 6000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin_232

Proliant Server 6000

Hello all-

I am trying to attach an IDE 200GB WD drive to our 6000 server. I have updated the BIOS to the most current 12/99 version. The box is running Win2k Adv Server. When the drive is installed the OS reports 128GB total drive size. Is there a fix for this problem?

Thanks for any help.....
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Kevin,
I am not sure where you are attaching the IDE HDD. If you are attaching to the IDE channel meant for CDROM then you will surely run into problems. The CDROM IDE channel is strictly for CDROM. If you have a third party IDE controller in the system then you may need to use partition magic or any third party utility to set the OS to pick up all 200 GB.

Regards,
Kevin_232

I am trying to connect it to the same IDE channel the CD-ROM is on. We are short on hardware and I don't have an extra IDE card for the machine. Do you have any ideas? Is the 12/99 BIOS what is causing this problem? Has HP/Compaq stopped supporting this machine for BIOS updates?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello kevin,
This is surely a retired product. BIOS has nothing to do with the support for CDROM IDE channel. You just cannot connect the HDD to the CROM channel. The only solution you have is to buy an addon IDE controller. I have used IDE controllers by Promise and you can have more information on those from www.promise.com or the IDE controllers made by Maxtor.

Regards,
Arnold Sadowsky

I have the same problem on the IDE channel CD rom master hd slave and you can not see more than 127 gig. I have a siig ultra controler but the cables will not reach, any ideas.