1752530 Members
4713 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Server Beeps and Shuts Down Unexpectedly

James Wieschhaus
Occasional Advisor

Proliant Server Beeps and Shuts Down Unexpectedly

I have a Compaq Proliant ML530. I am running WIndows 2000 Server. Every so often the Server will beeps a few times, and then it will Shutdown. I looked in the event Log and found nothing. It just says, last system shutdown was unexpected. Any ideas what could be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

Did you check for the Welchia virus?
Check www.symantec.com for tool.
Any entries in the insight management logviewer?

Leon
Brian Murdoch
Advisor

Hi,

Also check the Integrated Management Log (IML) for clues using the viewer. Start-Programs-Compaq (or HP) System Tools-Integrated Management Log viewer.

You may find some clues here to hardware problems prior to the shutdown messages like thermal shutdown, cpu failure memory errors etc. You can also check these details in the survey report in C:\COMPAQ\SURVEY\SURVEY.TXT.

I hope this helps,

Brian

James Wieschhaus
Occasional Advisor

I scanned for the Welchia Virus. That is not the problem. Server is fully updated. Nothing in the Event Log, or the Compaq Integrated Management Log Viewer. Nothing about High Temperature or Anything. Any other ideas?
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

Is your Proliant connected to a UPS?
All Your Bases Are Belong To Us!
James Wieschhaus
Occasional Advisor

It is connected to a big UPS that servers about 20 Servers. Not connected with a serial cable though, just with the power cord.
Brian Murdoch
Advisor

James,

Do you have a DuperDLT Tape drive installed internally in the system (220Gb or 460Gb model)?

Just curious.

Brian

Marcello Ferraro
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
did you see if the leds, in the front, are orange or red when it made beep?
James Wieschhaus
Occasional Advisor

Leds don't change color. No tape drive installed. I should mention though, when it shuts down it doesn't just power off. It goes through the shutdown process. It says "Windows is now shutting down". Then it powers off. However it is not the Welchia Virus, plus all of my Virus Definitions are up to date and virus scan turns up nothing.
Paul Bondoc

I'm experiencing the same on a DL 380 G2. It just started this week. I've run AV against it and signatures are up to date. I'd appreciate any assistance as well.

Regards,
Paul