1753404 Members
7178 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Server Beeps and Shuts Down Unexpectedly

Varuna Jayalath
Advisor

Hi There are two ways that you can get beeps.

Beeps generated by the OS or generated by the machine it self. There is a difference in the tone of the beep. ( example every proliant beeps twice at successfull boot up ). Please try to differecitae these two and reply.

If the server is being shutdown by the hardware and as you have mentioned a graceful shutdown it is most probably due to over temparature or critical fan failure. If you have Insight Manager please use that.

By the time I will keep on looking for other possibilities.

Regards,

Varuna.
James Wieschhaus
Occasional Advisor

Hi All, thanks for the help. I figured out the problem. The server is being issued a Suspend/Hibernate Command, which shuts down the server and puts it in to Standby Mode. I do not know why it is getting this command, and I don't know how to fix it yet, but I do have a Band-Aid for it. If you open up Backup, (Start, Programs, Systems Tools, Backup) it will not allow a hibernate/suspend command to be run. A message will pop-up telling you that a hibernate/suspend command was attempted. Any help figuring out why this command is being issued would be greatly appreciated.
Tad Nall
Frequent Advisor

Sounds motherboard
James Wieschhaus
Occasional Advisor

Actually I just replaced the motherboard and the power supply. All fans are working. Only thing I haven't tested is memory and processor.
Tad Nall
Frequent Advisor

I worked with a Compaq Tech on a simalar issue and it was RAM. After Compaq replaced my RAM it was fine. Have you tried testing the RAM?