ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752565 Members
5621 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant Servers - Intel or AMD for Windows?

wickman
Advisor

Proliant Servers - Intel or AMD for Windows?

What criteria are people using to make the processor decision? I'm leaning towards AMD for just about everything these days. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Eric
2 REPLIES 2
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

it's not so easy give an answer to this question ...
there are many things to consider.
and, after of that ... after you have made all the possible considerations ... will be not easy yet.

a few things that you may/have to consider:

the overall performace you need;
compare the cost of the two different systems you may need to match the performance you want, based on Intel and AMD platform;
the upgradability of the two choosen systems.
the cost of the upgrade;

it's a very long discussion ...

if you have a "starting point" ... we can continue to discuss ...

bye.

TJK.

<> Leonardo da Vinci
wickman
Advisor

I understand that an open ended question like mine is open for great interpretation. I don't want to consider upgrades as a factor in a decision. I also don't want to really consider cost. I would expect to compare AMD to Intel using like configurations.. unless there's compelling reasons to alter configs based on the processor. I'm trying to spec 'normal' servers for file and print, web servers and SQL 2005 servers.

I'm not expecting a magic config program to tell me exactly what to get but I'm just trying to understand why one would spec Intel or AMD in any given situation. Pointers to this info that already existss would be much appreciated also.

Thanks,
Eric