1753835 Members
8509 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant W2K Advanced server

J-B
Occasional Advisor

Proliant W2K Advanced server

I work for a company that bought a Proliant 3700 Server with 6 hard drives. The thing is my dept. isn't part of the IT dept. So when I got the server I got no documentation. The only thing I got was a sheet of what I have inside the server and a copy of W2K Server.

So I created a 4-disk boot-up disk from my w2k advanced server CD. Then I rebooted the server with the four 3 1/2 disk. Everything is fine so far but by the time Windows starts to install I get an error message that no hard drives are intalled. However, all 6 hard drives light up at "boot up". What can I do ???
Is there a link that I can have for a step-by-step install with my Proliant server and W2K server ??? I have no documentation !!! Do I need Smart Start to configure my Hard drives...Disk 1 will be for OS. Disk 2-3 are Raid 1. Disk 4-5 are for Raid 5 and the last one is for a hot-spare. I'm a progrmmer with some Server knowledge...I would need a kick start !!!
7 REPLIES 7
Troy Blewitt
Advisor

There's no such model as a Proliant 3700, so I'm going to assume you have an ML370 (first generation, or G1). This has an Integrated Array Controller as optional, or you can install a PCI based Array controller. With either, you should see the Array controller initialisation during POST. When it comes up, press [F8] as prompted to configure your RAID sets.

From there you can start the Windows install, but you'll need a driver disk for the controller during the install. Download either this driver for the Integrated Array controller or any SMART controller that starts with a 2, 3 or 4
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17750.html

Or this driver for any SMART controller that starts with a 5 or 6
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17725.html

You need to extract the files and copy them to a floppy. This should hopefully allow you to use the floppy as a driver disk when prompted during Windows installation.

Once finished, make sure you download and install the latest Proliant Support Pack from here
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17675.html

I highly recommend getting a hold of the SmartStart CD to make the process much easier.

PS. RAID 5 requires at least 3 disks.
J-B
Occasional Advisor

thanx I'l try that sometime...unfortunately I have to be alone becuase that server makes a lot of noise an it disturbs my collleagues. I will forget abou the hot spare if Raid 5 gets 3 drives....thanx.
You'll probably get points for this.
J-B
Occasional Advisor

Just one last question to ask you before I do this tonight. I am at work right now but (Like I said) earlier I can't open this server because the noise disturbs my colleagues :-(

I have a Proliant ML 370 G3 with 6 18.2 - GB Ultra 320 SCSI. The Array cannot hold more than 6 Hard Drives.

2 little questions :

When you state:
"This has an Integrated Array Controller as optional, or you can install a PCI based Array controller."

Can I know which one I have just by the model number or do I have to open the server to know if this is "PCI" based.

When you state:
"Download either this driver for the Integrated Array controller or any SMART controller that starts with a 2, 3 or 4"
...link...

or download this if it starts with 5 or 6
...link..."

Do you mean the amount of Hard drives I have or do you mean the amount of hard drives or the version of the Controller?

Thank you once again !

BTW, If you happen to know any usefull links that would provide me a step-by-step tutorial it would be extremely well appreciated.
J-B
Occasional Advisor

OK I am in front of the server I have been working on it for an hour and a hald now...

I now know I have a Slot 1 Compaq Smart Array 5300 Controller.

I press "F8" when it says "ROM Configuration for Array" and like you already know it says
: "There are no available physical drives"

If I go and select "View Logical Drives" I notice that a red light flashes on the actual physical drives depending on the one that is "highlighted" thru the menu. Example if I have Drive 3 highlighted on the menu the Red light on the real physical drive 3 is on and flashing. (P.S. all of them are solid green as well)

SO I can't install windows from there....
Hoever, I downloaded a 4 disquette program they call an SCU...I run this after it finishes booting up ... but some options just simply reboot my computer....Ideas ???

Here is another hint at bootup I can see this message

SCSI BIOS Not installed

And when I run my Compaq SCU utility it says SMRT SCSI not installed".....what can I do where do I go from here !!!???

Thank you for your time....
Paul Slijkhuis
Valued Contributor

I recommend using the SmartStart CD that came with the server. It should come with it. When you use this CD to install the server it will guide you through the server configuration (arrays, raid level, OS install, etc). As well it will install the drivers to get you hardware functioning well. Just be sure to have a licenced CD for your OS and SmartStart will do the rest ;-)

The manual way - as you seem to be trying - is an expert way of istalling a server. I it a hassle...
IT Architect, contractor
J-B
Occasional Advisor

Got the CD ... Someone "borrowed" it from our team (GRRRR !!!)

I put it in the CD Tray then Boot up my server... Why isn't it doing anything !??!
J-B
Occasional Advisor

Never Mind ... Boot order...I guess it has to be Priority >= 2
Because it did try to read A: And C: but never CD-Rom...So I cahnged the boot order and it works now !!!