Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant dl380 G3 - Won't boot/desplay anything

MattEDV
Occasional Visitor

Proliant dl380 G3 - Won't boot/desplay anything

Hello!

I got a strange problem with one of our proliant servers.
Since yesterday, the server powers up, if i hit the POWER btn, but nothing will be desplayed on the moniter - it stays in sleep mode.... monitor works perfectly on any other system.

Also i noticed, that there isn't any 'beep' on startup. Letting the system run for an half hour and then try to access it via Remot doesn't works so (try to ping the system doesn't works) - so i think the OS (MS WinServer 2k3) doesn't boot at all....

don't know what to try next... maybe some of you can share their thinking about this issue.

Greetings, Marcus
11 REPLIES
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

Re: Proliant dl380 G3 - Won't boot/desplay anything

Have you completely removed power (power cables)? Then try powering up? If you see nothing onscreen that is a serious issue. If it powers on what lights are on the server (i.e., are there any amber lights)?
Ask and you shall receive
MattEDV
Occasional Visitor

hello!

i already unpluged the system and replugged it - no success.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

what about any other basic troubleshooting?

- reseating componentes(PCI riser cage, ...)
-swapping componets(memory modules, processor)
- minimum configuration (1 processor, 1 or two memory modules)
- cleaning NVRAM

and let's see
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mike Stahlberg
Occasional Visitor

I had this same issue with 2 servers today. I reseated both the Riser Cards in them and they now work as though nothing ever happened. Very odd...
erwinfeb
Occasional Visitor

hi,
open the server case and power up the server, if you see any orange LED, look at behind server case there is a information about that server.

Pam Bulmann
Occasional Visitor

I have what I think is the same problem with 2 of my g3 servers. The servers are in separate buildings. When they lose power, it can take a while to get them powered back up. When we press the power button, the LED lights come on, HD lights come on, but nothing ever appears on the monitor. I replaced the power button, but have the same issue. It is like it is in some type of sleep or hibernate mode, but it never hits the network, never beeps. We've found the only way to get it to power up is to keep powering off, then power back on. It seems that you have to hold the power button in for just about 1 1/2 seconds?
Sandeshp_1
Valued Contributor

Hi,
How many power modules u have for this server ?? Have u check both SMPS are working (getting power) ?

Also have u try to diagnose the basic things like remove the Memory module from the system and check for any beep. Have you find any RED LED blowing on M/B ??

Post the output
BasDorland
Occasional Visitor

I have the same problem with a G2 DL380.

Checked everything I can think of, the problem started with I though a RIB card removal. After I reseated the card, the problem was gone till the next powerdown.

Today I thought I take an other shot (been down for 1 month), It booted yes!!! till the next power down. Now I won't boot again. No beebs only spinning up fans and haddisk lights.

More suggestions needed, thanks.
matthew aston
Occasional Visitor

try powering it on with with the lid off if you see any amber lights inside that will point to your problem, sounds like it could be a vrm issue, if you look on the inside of the lid it will tell you what the led,s on the system board mean.
Merc2k
Occasional Visitor

I have the same problem. Have reseated everything known to man on the server, all lights are green on the MB. New power cables, tested a different PSU from another G3 and still nothing.

I am beginning to think it might have something to do with RAID. Before shutting down the server I noticed that I was getting a Dive Failed light on one of my SCSI disks. My only possible thought now, other then the MB is dead is that the RAID controller is rebuilding the Array and is not letting the server boot.

When I boot with no RAM I get 1 long beep, but still no monitor or kb.

Very strange.
Merc2k
Occasional Visitor

Seems my problem was compliments of a dead MB.