Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proliant dl380 g4 win 2003 64 on esx 3

samir kal
Occasional Visitor

Proliant dl380 g4 win 2003 64 on esx 3

Hi,
I tried to install win 2003 64 bit on vmware esx 3.5 but no luck I can't find in the bios in the advanced option for my dl380 g4 server any place to enable vt as mentioned on another threads, is there a specific firmware which enables this option.

thanks very much
7 REPLIES
DragomirAtea
Trusted Contributor

Re: Proliant dl380 g4 win 2003 64 on esx 3

Hi Samir!

In Setup utility

Go to Advanced Options

Then choose Proccessor Options

There you should have the Intel VT option Enable/Disable

Regards
Dragomir
Mike Jefferson
Occasional Visitor

Samir,

Were you able to get 2003 64b installed as a guest OS on your ESX 3.5? I have the BIOS setting enabled mentioned, but cannot get the actual OS to boot up. I also modified the CPUID level 0x80000001 register 'edx'. host bits:xx1x:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx in the guest OS. I just get the black screen. Were you able to get it to work?

Thanks!
samir kal
Occasional Visitor

Hi again,

I didn't change the edx settings could you tell me where to change those settings for the cpu.

Thanks very much.
Mike Jefferson
Occasional Visitor

Samir,

I was able to get it to work, but I had to delete and re-create the entire virtual machine after I had enabled the hardware virtualization setting in the BIOS.

The setting I was referring to was in regards to an error I would receive when I tried to boot the 64 bit virt machine without the BIOS setting.

From the VPX Client:
-->Right click the VM --> select EDIT SETTINGS
-->Select the OPTIONS tab, under ADVANCED, click the CPUID MASK --> click the ADVANCED button on the right side of the screen
-->Select the VIRTUAL MACHINE DEFAULT tab and scroll down to LEVEL 80000001: and then select EDX.
-->The settings shown in the GUEST OS DEFAULT and the FINAL MASK can be modified if need be.

But, as it turned out, once I set the BIOS VM (as previously mentioned), deleted the previous VM and recreated it from scratch, I did not modify the CPUID MASK and I was able to get the VM to load the 64bit Win2k3 OS with no further issues.

~Mike
samir kal
Occasional Visitor

Hi again,

I am sorry but with respect to the bios setting there is no processor options tab on the advanced bios setting, may it be I need a different firmware and which one.

Thanks
Bharat Khetani
Occasional Visitor

Hi, did anyone actually find the VT option?
Clay Cleverly
Occasional Contributor

My understanding is that the G4's do NOT have the VT extensions installed. G5's are the first gen that includes processors with that capacity.
On my DL380 G4's, in the BIOS, Advanced Options, I only have Processor Hyper-Threading, no options for VT enable/disable.