New Discussion

Re: Proliant ml110 G5 raid after os?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Micklu
Occasional Advisor

Proliant ml110 G5 raid after os?

Hi!

We bought Proliant ML110 g5 server. I have now installed the OS (XP, because our invoice-database runs best @ xp)

I was wondering if its possible to install one more 250gb disk inside and enable RAID 1 ? Or do i have to make "fresh" install and hit the f6 during windows install ?

Thank you for any information you can give!
13 REPLIES 13
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Micklu
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much Karlo!
If I understood correct following these steps below, I can build RAID 1 after installing OS. Just connect one more 250gb disc and do steps 1 to 7?

The hdd what is now installed on the system has two logical drives C: & D: does this affeted in some way the RAID operation (steps 1-7)?

We salute you King Karlo ;)
------------------------------------
1. Install the OS with Embedded SATA RAID Disabled (No Drivers or F6 required) on one Harddrive.
2. Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder. HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003:

Click here to go to HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003 http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26742.html
Go to Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

4. Restart the Server go to BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

5. Press F8 and go to Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear " Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No): ". Press "Y" to continue.

6. If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select " Y".

7. Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully.
-----------------------------------------
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

a pleasure to help

you know that's a very good question about the the 2 partitions

but I think it won't affect the procedure at all so just install the driver - enabled RAID - create the mirror and go to go

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Micklu
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again!

And just to be sure, i wont lose any data @ installed OS during the raid conversion ?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

as you see here people have done it and I've done it too and no date lost but you know having a backup can avoid headaches

bye
Micklu
Occasional Advisor

Me again ....

Just to be sure sure that I do things right ;)

A)
Backup old data

B)
Shutdown computer and add another 250gb hdd. After this I have hdd no.1 (two partitions) where is OS istalled and hdd no.2 which is empty and no partitions.

C)
Do Karlos steps 1-7

D)
My both hdd´s (250gb) will work as one RAID 1 array with to orginal partions.

Thank you for patience and advices
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes

don't forget to install the SATA Driver for you controller you can check if it is already installed using device manager

bye
Micklu
Occasional Advisor

Hi and thanks again Karlo

@device manager shows:
Intel(R) ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926

Intel(R) ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920

If I understood correct i have to install

HP Embedded G5 SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003

located at (Karlo your link was broken)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3577708&prodNameId=3577715&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-1af9deb2dde346e78892d0e1b4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yeah it's already installed