6228 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant ml350 Generation 1 Non-system disk or disk error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Caleb Jessie

Proliant ml350 Generation 1 Non-system disk or disk error

So i have a very old Proliant ml350 generation 1 server in my house and ive been trying to get it to work. But when i boot it up, it tells me "non-system disk or disk error." I looked every where online to try and help me out. But i couldnt really find anything that would work. This computer is so old, no one talks about it anymore. Hopefully at least one person will help me out! Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

A G1!
ohh, thats hard on my memory.

At least, here's a oveview:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00346949тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=327479&prodTypeId=15351

Does your's have a Smart Array Controller?
If so it must be configured.

I will recommend you to install it, using a Smart Start CD:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=327479&prodNameId=342588&swEnvOID=181&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-597d7cb6b45d493285e27c1412

Wich OS do you want to install?
Not all OS is possible to install using Smart Start.
If the OS is not supportet, you must run the Smart Start, for manual installation.
That will help You, configure the Smart Array Controller, set it as boot controller, and install the system management partition.
The BIOS set program, is installed on that hidden partition, and once installed it is invoked pressing F10.

see the list of supportet OS:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=342588тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=327479

Also you will need a diskette for the smart start:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=327479&prodNameId=342588&swEnvOID=181&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I7453
All that is on that diskette, is an empty file, I can't remember what's it called.
But it is used by Smart Start, to replicate server configuration, in case you needed to install multible indentical servers.
In those days, it was needed, even when installing only 1 server.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Caleb Jessie

Wow, Thank you sooo much for the amazing and very detailed response!! I'm so excited you responded. But yes it is very old and i wanna get it to work!

Yes, it does have a Smart Array Controller. I'll set it up with the SmartStart CD. I'm guessing i have to download it and burn it to a disk right? lol

I would like to install windows XP but im not sure if that is even possible? Since its not supported with the smartstart CD i have to run the manual installation. Do you know how to do that or is it really simple?

Next is the diskette part. I have noo idea what that is. Do i put that on a CD? Ill just download it for now until i receive more wisdom! lol

And lastly! Are you sure it is not any hardware issues? Im not sure, but it has one short beep while attempting to boot. Idk if that is normal or what not.

But anyway! Thank you so much once again. Hopefully i will hear from you soon!

Caleb
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The Diskette first.
Download from the link.
Put an empty, formattet diskette in the floppy drive, and run the package you downloaded.
It will create an empty file on the floppy.

Smart Start will instruct you to insert the Floppy disk.

XP is not the best choice. Since it is a client OS.
Best choice is a Sevre OS.
XP may caurse some driver challenges.

If you run the manual installation from the Smart Start, it will help you configure the RAID (Take your time, and play with it, and ask questions if needed).
SS will install the systempartition (F10) on the RAID.
Quite nice, if F10 works, s├Г┬е is your RAID :).

Even though, its an older box, the basic technology hasn't changed much.
I will recommend to read: Smart Array Technology Brief
You can browse that title.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Caleb Jessie

Ok so ill make the floppy. I already made the SmartStart CD but when i put it in the dvd drive it doesnt do anything. And i think i just figured out why. Its a CD-ROM drive and im guessing that means it cant read DVD's. I burned the ISO on a dvd. Can i switch out the cdrom drive and put a different one it there? Im not sure. I could just get a CD if that would be easier.

Thank you so much for your help!
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You must create a bootable CD from the ISO image.
CD/DVD burner programs can do that for you.

Don't burn the ISO on it.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes you can put anotehr drive in. The jumper must be set for cable select.

I would use the current cd drive.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Caleb Jessie

Yea i am on a mac as my primary computer at the moment and i used Disk Utility to create the DVD(mind you im using a dvd and not a cd for the disc.) And I'm not sure if that makes it bootable or not but when i open up the cd after its burned it shows all the files.

Im gonna try and get a hold of a CD instead of my DVD's i have and burn it on one of those. Then ill see what happens.

Thanks!
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Yes you need a CD and a program that can create a bootable CD from a ISO image.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo