1752790 Members
5922 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant redundant fans

Paul Matteucci

Proliant redundant fans

Hello,
I have an old Proliant 3000 installed with Fedora Core 4 running as a PDC, and it works like a dream.
Now, its starting to get warm here and the server is starting to give us some overheating issues.
I took the fans apart and realised that the redundant fan kit installed creates all the air displacement whilest the "original" fans create NO airflow whatsoever, even though they are spinning.
I wondered if this was done on purpose as to have the redundant fans doing all the work and the standard ones keeping their bearings good at low rpm, so I tried to disconnect the redundant from the mb and the standard fans still create no airflow whatsoever.
Can anyone instruct me as to why this is? Are the redundant fans more powerful because the standard are poor quality or should I change some setting in bios?
Please le me know, I only need a few degreese less and I won t have to build a dedicated cooling unit.
Also, any way of monitoring fans from Linux FC?
Thanks a lot
Paul
3 REPLIES 3
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Check the attached doccument, FYI.
Where it seems to be fan issue. you can check the iml log online/offline to confirm the same failure.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Paul Matteucci

Thank you,
however I am a quite experienced user.
It would appear obvious that before posting here I would have consulted the logs and the documentation...
Any other information regarding the linux monitor?
Thank you
Paul
Steve Giron
Occasional Contributor

The fan speeds are controlled by the server health drivers. If you don't load the drivers, the asic will set the fan speed to high.

You can swap the fans to see that it's the ports the fans are plugged into that control the speeds not the fans themselves.

The redundant fans are there to prevent an automated shutdown if the primary fans fail.

I have seen in the field, RARELY a fan wired backwards so it spun the wrong direction.