ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752271 Members
4733 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Proliant server one of the hard drives bay quit working?

DJRoggenkamp
Occasional Visitor

Proliant server one of the hard drives bay quit working?

Hello, so this is actually our old server that I am trying to get working just to have as a back up in case our main server ever goes down. The entire reason we replaced this server is because we thought a hard drive went out (running raid 1) because when it tried to boot, it would say something along the lines of hard disk error. I forget the exact message. Anyways, I was doing some troubleshooting and I am actually convinced that the Hard Drives are fine because I can boot to either drive by themselves in the first hard drive bay (will call this bay 1, there are 6 bays total) However, neither hard drive will boot in the second bay (will call this bay 2). Anytime I have a hard drive in bay 1 and 2, I get the same hard disk error, tried flopping the drives around, same thing.  Now if I use slots 3 and 4, the server boots up and everything seems normal but I am not sure if its still running in RAID 1. Now this leads to my actually question...I have only set up RAID a couple times on personal PCs and to my knowledge you have to use sata 0 and sata 1 ports to set it up. Since that it how it was setup on this server before all these issues, does this mean I will have to use these same ports if I want to use them in RAID or can i set up the RAID config with the Hard Drives in the bays that they are currently working in (3 and 4)? My end result goal is to get this server set back up in a RAID 1 config. Thanks in advanced for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

You forgot to mention the ProLiant server model.

If the server is 300 series and above till Generation 7, you can use SmartStart CD to configure RAID or perform diagnostics.

If the server is 100 series then you can use Easy Setup CD (supported on few models) or use ORCA.

If the server is Gen8 or Gen9, you can use Intelligent Provisioning during POST to configure RAID.

Refer to these link's for more help.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Proliant-ML150-G6-Server-SmartStart-and-WIndows-Install-Software/m-p/6682546

https://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?docId=mmr_kc-0123572

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

DJRoggenkamp
Occasional Visitor

Sorry...It is a Proliant ML350 G6. I did diagnostic on both of the hard drives and they tested fine. But it is showing the raid is not set up correctly. Will I be ale to rebuild this raid using slot 3 and 4? If I can, how do I do this without losing any kind of data on the drives?

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Use the Array Configuration Utility to see what is wrong with the RAID.

Bay 1 and/or 2 could have a faulty backplane connector.

ACU will tell you the type of RAID (Fault Tolerance) the drives have.

If ACU asks to reconfigure RAID because the drives where shifted to different slots, then take a valid backup and reconfigure RAID.

RAID problem occurs because when drives were in Bay 1 and 2, it had got a unique Drive ID (SCSI ID), when you changed the bay, the Drive ID is not matching with the data that controller has.

Good Luck.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo