ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753960 Members
7752 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliat ML570, Win2k ADV. and Internet

Amauris Morel

Proliat ML570, Win2k ADV. and Internet

After rebooting my computer, my internet connection from the cable modem will seem to work for about 20 minutes, then it stops. This server shares the internet connection with the other office computers, only about 15, so that leaves us with no internet connection using the server, unless I reboot. I cannot afford to reboot every 25 minutes because then everyone using our database would be interrupted from their work.I know its the servers fault as oppsed to the cable company because I'm using my computer (running winXP) right now as a temporary fix. Has anyone had this problem and maybe found a solution, any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Which OS is running on the server? And could it be caused by this different OS?

(Assuming you have NT4 or Win2000 on the server) Are there any errors showing in the event viewer? Are you running RAS on the server to share the internet connection on the cable modem? If it works, but stops after a while, then this would seem to indicate a problem somewhere in the software (possible memory leak).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I should have have the title for the OS.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Patrick Rouse
Frequent Advisor

I've setup ICS for people's home computers, but realisticly in an office with more than a few computers you may want to just spend $100 on a router that will connect to the Internet for you, so the other computers aren't so dependent on one machine. It'll also take some load off of this server & will be a bit more safe, unless you're running ISA Server. Do you use a hardware firewall of any kind?

I think of ICS and Software RAID in the same category, they both can work, but aren't usually used in a business environment unless there's absolutely no budget for supplies. When a broadband router like a linksys or Cisco 806 can be purchased for little more than $100 you may be wasting time getting this to work on Win2K Server.

Just my opinion.
Amauris Morel

The event viewer has several errors on it, but Because of the several configurations I have had to try, I'm not able to really tell if any pertain to exactly when the internet service went down. I'm not really too experienced at working with network servers, and right now I can only really try different things after work hours because I can't afford to take the time to bring down the database server for long. I actually tried using a router (Network Everywhere NRO41) and it seemed to work well for a few days and then it would cut out. I would switch with another router of the same, and it would work for a very short bit, (up to an hour) and I was switching between both routers, because just resetting one wouldn't work, it had to be unplugged for a bit for it to work, I don't know if it didn't work just because it was a cheap router. Right now I've had the network running correctly since the date of my original e-mail by using my personal computer as the internet server (cable connects via usb, and ethernet into network switch, using ICS for WinXP. Personally I have no problem with this configuration (with the exception of it being my PC in use, since now it is not located in my office), except that the original installer of the systems here insists that is should all be working fine with the Database server also acting as the Internet server.