cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prolient 1600, WinServer2003

Richard Axelrod_1
Occasional Visitor

Prolient 1600, WinServer2003

I just loaded a Prolient 1600 with Windows Server 2003. At completion it finds the network card, but cannot find the driver. I have tried several drivers, but nothing works. How can I get the network card working. Second question.. I have put a second processor in the server, how do I get the firmware to see that CPU.?
7 REPLIES
Shep Johnson
Advisor

Re: Prolient 1600, WinServer2003

Answer 1: You can't just try network card drivers at random, you need to download the correct driver for Windows Server 2003 for the precise network card in your server from www.compaq.com.

Answer 2: The bios will auto-detect a 2nd CPU but you then need to run the system configuration utility. It will detect the additional cpu and allow you to save the new configuration. If your server isn't auto-detecting the additional CPU, it sounds like it is either not installed correctly or is faulty.
Richard Axelrod_1
Occasional Visitor

I have tried all the Windows 2003 Server files from the Compaq web site.. None work. I get a message that "this driver is not needed on this system"
What is the fastest CPU I can put in the Prolient 1600? I want to upgrade the dual cpus.
e4services
Honored Contributor

First,
How does the install sit right now? If you are looking at the Computer Manager / Device Manager IS there a network card? So it yellowed out and not functioning? And you can not tie a drive to the card? May be the card is not functioning. Replace it, they are cheap.
As for the second CPU, Compaq sold a 600 MHz upgrade kit with the provision that you add extra cooling from something call a "additional Thermal Upgrade Option Kit". Also there was a split in the design of the units too. Units delivered with 6/450 and below were Ultra Wide not Ultra2 and it is unclear if other CPU support was add after also, so support for 650 and up are available in BIOS.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

Sorry I for got,

The part number (no longer available)
124779-B21 Intel Pentium III processor option kit - 550MHz - Upgrading 400, 450 or 500 to a 550 or 600 or upgrading a 550 to 600, installation of an additional Thermal Upgrade Option Kit is required. Failure to install kit may damage server and will void warranty.

153555-B21 Intel Pentium III processor option kit - 600MHz (512K Level-2 cache)

144003-B22 Thermal upgrade option kit - includes one self-adhesive baffle, one fan, four screws, and six self-adhesive gaskets.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Richard Axelrod_1
Occasional Visitor

The install as it stands now is the network card shows in the devices however it is not working. It does have the yellow mark.
Richard Axelrod_1
Occasional Visitor

I may add, if I load Windows XP on this server,, it immediately finds the nic card and goes onto the network. Just with the WindowsServer 2003 I am having the issue. It shows the nic card in the devices but just cannot get the right driver to get it going.
Shep Johnson
Advisor

This simply means that Windows XP includes a driver for your network card but Windows Server 2003 does not. With Windows XP running, identify the precise type of network card then use that information to download the correct driver for Windows Server 2003 from the Compaq website.