New Discussion юеВ

Re: Promise S150 SX4 not working on ML330 G3

Alexander Risoy

Promise S150 SX4 not working on ML330 G3

Hardware/Software:
HP ProLiant ML330 G3, 1x 2.8GHz Xeon, 768MB RAM, onboard IDE RAID controller
- Windows Server 2003 Standard
Promise FastTrak S150 SX4, 256MB RAM (SATA RAID controller), 3x 160MB SATA HDDs

When I install the Promise card into one of the PCI slots on the motherboard, the computer doesn't boot. -> None system disk or disk error. I have no problem accessing the Promise FastBuild utility during Promise POST.

If I disable the PCI slot in BIOS I have no problem starting up Windows, and booting from the onboard IDE controller. The Promise POST does not show. In Windows I get the below error message.

Device Manager error message:
"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

I have disabled a whole bunch of resources, but nothing seems to help. I would really like this SATA controller to be up an running fairly quickly, since we bought this server for that single reason
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Alexander,
When you install the Promise controller you need to go to F9 and Set the BOOT CONTROLLER ORDER to the one you intend to boot from. I have seen this error quiet a few times before. Also make sure that the system bios is uptodate. Please let me know the outcome.

Regards,
Alexander Risoy

I just upgraded the firmware and now have 01/11/2003 installed.

Nothing seem to have changed.

The only thing that actually makes a difference is disabling the Promise PCI slot.

I am rather frustrated at this point.
Alexander Risoy

If I disable the onboard IDE RAID controller, booting from SmartStart 6.4 does not give me an option to install Windows 2003 from there. It says there are no logical disks.

If I, on the other hand, boot from the Windows CD and install the Promise controller drivers, I have no problem installing Windows. (Well, so far so good - still installing.) But then I won't be able to access the "factory installed" hard drive.

What I really want is to be able to boot from the pre-installed drive and only store my data files on the Promise RAID array. But so far that seems very difficult.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Alexander,
Please do not disable the onboard controller just change the BOOT CONTROLLER Order in F9. This should definitely make a difference.

Regards,
Alexander Risoy

Changing the boot order doesn't matter. No matter which one is on top it refuses to boot if both are enabled.

I now have Windows 2003 installed once on each array (the onboard controller single drive and the Promise RAID array). None will boot if both are enabled. Disabling one allows for the other to boot.
Alex Br├╝gge

I have had the exact same problem and HP support wasn't very helpful. They actually said that a raid 5 IDE wasnt supported with the Proliant ML 310

There is a workaround though. Which works if you are running a 3 disks RAID 5 on the Promise sx4000.

First install the OS on the orginal system drive without installing the Promise card. Once you have done that disconnect the systemdrive from the internal ATA controller and put it on the 4th canal on the Promise Card.

Then open the Fastrak BIOS control while booting (Press CTRL+F) And assign a new array using only the system drive. RAID 1+0. Then you have one RAID 5 with storage and one RAID 1+0 with the system. Make sure that you mark the RAID 1+0 as bootble in the fasttrak bios set up(press space and a * shows which array are chosen as bootable)

And as you said you can't have both controllers active at the same time. So disable the internal ATA in system BIOS (Press F9) during boot.

Hopefully you have already solved this problem by now. But it might help someone else...