ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752749 Members
4818 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Purple? disk lights on DL580 G5 with HP SA P 400i controller

Gregory Drew

Purple? disk lights on DL580 G5 with HP SA P 400i controller

Has anyone ever seen purple status lights on the array drives on a DL80G5? I have a rack of these machines, and one of them has been showing purple status lights since I set it up. The others only show the green activity light, even though they should all be set up identically. The disks are configured as a RAID 1+0 through the BIOS. Does anyone know what causes this, and how to turn them off. The color is different than the blue you get when the drives are under management.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Greg,
Welcome to HP Forums.

I have never seen a Purple LED on a SATA/SAS HDD. It Can be Amber, Blue or Green.

Refer:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=74354&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c00596191

Seems the HDD is dying/dead. You may run the HP Array Diagnostic Utility to confirm that.

Also, Firmware of HDD(if Available) & controller plays an important role.

Regards,
Gregory Drew

I will re-check them, and look at the firmware. I certainly hope that they are not dying/dead. The light issue is affecting both drives in the serve, and both are brand new.
Nalin malik
Occasional Advisor

HI GREGORY DRE,

FIRST OF ALL CHECK THE HDD STATUS FROM ARAY CONFIGURATION UTILITY AND CHECK AT THAT TIME ON WHICH LIGHT THE HDD ARE FLASHING AND ONE THING THE LED INDICATION IS ALSO STORED ON THE BACKPLANE FIRST IDENTIFY THE HDD STATUS THAT IT IS OK OR NOT AND IF U CAN CHK BY SWAPPING THE HDD TO DIFFERENT SLOT AND CHECK IT THE LED INDICATION ARE CHANGING OR NOT AND BEFORE DOING THIS ACTIVITY TAKE A BACKUP.
AND UPDATE THE FIRMWARE OF HDD AND CONTROLLER ALSO AFTER THAT STILL THE PROBLEM PERSIT U WILL GET TO KNOW AND CALL HP VENDOR FOR HARDISK OR BACKPLANE REPLACEMENT

THANKS
NALIN
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

just say please "PURPLE LED" write in lowercase

thanks
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Justin Rogers

Had the same issue on a DL380 G5, issue ended up being the controller cables needed to be reseated on the p400 smart array card.
AIvanov

Had the same problem on a DL360G6, the problem was fixed after checking and resitting every cable from the MB to the backplane. One of the cables was half-ejected. Hope this helps