New Discussion юеВ

Re: Q about DL585 Power Supply Error

Paul Liong
Occasional Advisor

Q about DL585 Power Supply Error

Hi All,

Recently, the following Power supply error was reported by our DL585 Server:

Event: 2 Added: 10/01/2006 04:05
CAUTION: Power Subsystem - System Power Supplies Not Redundant.

Event: 3 Added: 10/29/2006 07:19
CAUTION: Power Subsystem - System Power Supply: General Failure (Power Supply 1).

However, it was noticed that no faulty LED of Power Supply 1 was on when our Vendor oniste. Anyhow, our Vendor did got the Power supply repalced.

Unfortunately, the status of the Power supply still report fail:

hpasmcli> show powersupply
Power supply #1
Present : Yes
Redundant: No
Condition: FAILED
Hotplug : Supported

Power supply #2
Present : Yes
Redundant: No
Condition: Ok
Hotplug : Supported

hpasmcli>

So, is the replace Power Supply still fail? Or do we need to clear the fault after the Power Supply is replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Paul
6 REPLIES 6
Glueck Gerald
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Actually I don├В┬┤t know any procedure that is necessary to tell the server that the power supply has been exchanged. As far as I know acknowledgment is only necessary in case of CPU error.

Maybe it├В┬┤s a firmware problem.

See here:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24175.html

Greetings

Gerald
Paul Liong
Occasional Advisor

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for your update. However, the Power Supply status still report fail from the 'hpamcli show powersupply'. So, I just wonder if we could restart the 'hpasm' to reset the faulty status?

Thanks & Regards

Paul
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

How loaded do you have this server? 4 processors? Full of drives? large # of PCI cards?

If so and you are on low-line power (110-120V) you may not be supplying the server with enough juice per power supply to keep it redundant.

All of my new installations have been on 208V power. Every brand and configuration of server I have implemented over the past few years has benefited from higher voltage. Most power supplies even run cooler at higher voltage and in turn generate less heat inside the server chassis and the data center as a whole.
Paul Liong
Occasional Advisor

i Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. In effect, the configuration of the Server is not big. It only got 2 CPU's running with 1 External dual port N/W card. Back to the former suggested BIOS issue. May I know if the false power alarm is reported by the 'hpasmcli show powersupply' or not.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Paul
Paul Liong
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,

Is there anyone could confirm that the former mentioned BIOS bug will cause the false alarm report via 'hpasmcli 'show powersupply'?

Thanks & Regards
Paul
Stoyanov
Regular Visitor

So, is the replace Power Supply still fail? Or do we need to clear the fault after the Power Supply is replaced?

Hi, Paul,

My opinion I strongly recomended you to replace Power Supply or try to insert once again failed PS and check his state.

Your chasis power state is not redundancy!

thank you for your attention

BR

Emil