5604 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Qlogic HBA FC card is not detecting in Vmware ESX 4.1

Ashok S T
Advisor

Qlogic HBA FC card is not detecting in Vmware ESX 4.1

Hello everybody,

We have HP ProLiant DL580 G5 server loaded with vmware ESX 4.1 and having 2 qlogic QLE2460 FC HBA Card.

one card is detecting in san switch side ( using switch show getting WWN Number)working fine.

Another FC card had a problem of detecting and some times it is not detecting ( getting WWWN NO AND SOMETIMES NOT GETING WWN NO) in another working san switch.

we have tried with new Another fc card, and in different slot, different port in san switch and new ofc cable as well.
no result still the same issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashok S T
8 REPLIES 8
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Ashok,

I remember there were some driver issues

you may try the latest Qlogic driver
http://driverdownloads.qlogic.com/QLogicDriverDownloads_UI/SearchByProduct.aspx?ProductCategory=39&Product=934&Os=167

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1588645

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Ashok S T
Advisor

Hi Aftab,

Thanks for your kind inputs,

But i dont know how one card is working fine, anyway i have downloaded the latest driver from the qlogic site,

Need help to update the drivers in vmware ESX 4.1 machine,

Thanks & Regards,
Ashok S T
Ashok S T
Advisor

Hi All,

What could be the problem,

Kinldy find the attached LED details.

All the LED is glowing sometimes (not detecting that time) and sometimes glowing only yellow LED (detecting that time).

i guess this might be firmware issue,

help from the experts appreciated, and need help on steps to upgrade the drivers in vmware ESX 4.1.

Thanks,
Ashok S T

Ashok S T
Advisor

Hello,

I have upgraded to latest qlogic driver (Downloaded from the QLOGIC site) and hp firmware and BIOS, still the same issue we are facing.

I could not find out what could be the promblem.

One think i absorbed is we are not able to connect the ESXi 4.1 server from ESXi client when that defective HBA has connected. If i remove the connection (OFC cable from the defective QLOGIC HBA, while the other working HBA is connected always) we are able to connect from the ESXi client.

LED status it is glowing all three continuously (yellow, green and amber)

Thanks in advance,

Ashok S T
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Ashok,

sorry for the late response.

Your observation seems to be correct as its happening only with one HBA even after upgrading the latest driver.

So I guess, you need to consider replacing this HBA. you may log a case with HP to get it replaced.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I had a similar problem with my HBAs after upgrading firmware. They could not boot the SAN. HP had to replace four 2142sr HBAs that firmware damaged.
Ashok S T
Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your response.

I have logged a case with hp hardware team regarding this issue, they call already in progress.

In parallel i have submit a case with qlogic technical team. They are also giving me some inputs on this.

I will post the response once this problem got solved.

Thanks for All and Wishing you a Very Happy and Prosperos New Year..

Cheers,
Ashok S T
Ashok S T
Advisor

Hi All,

The issue is with the hardware PCI slot.
HP team has encountred the problem by swapping the FC card and network card in the PCI slot.

So they have ordered the new IO board. Now both HBA is working fine and one network card is not functioning in the defective PCI slot.

Thanks for All.

I will update the status once they replace the IO board.

Regards,
Ashok S T